Thread: Jörðgarð Map of the Week #93 - Typical Border March Settlement

Default Jörðgarð Map of the Week #93 - Typical Border March Settlement

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bordersettlement_3000.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	51619

With the 93rd Map of the Week we continue in the Slovanian Border March with a look at a typical border area settlement.

There are two basic kinds of small settlements in the Border March and elsewhere in Slovania, inland settlements and border region settlements. Today, we look at the first of the two types. This map is not of a specific settlement but rather typical for most border area settlements.

Key to the map of a typical border region settlement

The unnumbered buildings all are wooden farmhouses and barns with wooden outhouses. All of the structures have wood shingle roofs.

1. Outer farm fields.

2. Main gate. The doors are of heavy wood.

3. Wooden towers. Each is 30 feet/9m high.

4. Gardens.

5. Public well.

6. Semaphore. These towers are the only stone structures in the settlement. They stand 50 ft/15 m high. A bonfire is lit atop the tower to warn other settlements of impending danger.

7. Observation tower. The wooden tower is 40 feet/12 m high. Guards atop the tower keep watch over the surrounding area seeking signs of danger.

You can get the map in two versions:

1. The Fractal Mapper (TM) 8 version in FMP format, fully editable, from our Jörðgarð web page (16 MB).

2. As a JPG flat map of 3000 Pixels x 2250 Pixels (2.9 MB), available with the hyperlink below.

Both versions are released for personal and commercial use under the Open Game License Version 1.0a, which you can read on the Jörðgarð website at:

The Jörgðarð World

Next week: Slovania - a typical inland settlement
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Apprentice

Sweet! This makes me think of the wilderness villages often described in America, circa 1625 to, even as late as, 1825.

Guild Artisan

Very nice. Just too many dang entries to look at all of them on time. I am very partial to small settlements as I believe they would be more the norm in a fantasy setting where the world is always growing, and not many maps of them.

Looks great. Got it covered, fields and water, and shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kier View Post
    I am very partial to small settlements as I believe they would be more the norm in a fantasy setting where the world is always growing, and not many maps of them.
    Generally agreed. If you look at today's big cities in the Dark or Middle Ages, you usually will find that they weren't very big then. How many small settlements there were varied greatly from location to location.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    Generally agreed. If you look at today's big cities in the Dark or Middle Ages, you usually will find that they weren't very big then. How many small settlements there were varied greatly from location to location.
    I am also agree with you!!!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."-Confucius
    Old map and Historic map