Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blank page - Fantasy map challenge :)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

@ Vorropahaiah :Sure I'll do. i already started to draw a new set of moutains two days ago I also have an idea for new style of forests but I don't know if this will work well though.
    @Steel : thanks for the contribution!

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

How about a map without a continent? That would be challenging hehehe. And work well with the underwater civilization

Quote Originally Posted by Thordred View Post
    How about a map without a continent?
    Reminds me to the Blue Planet role play setting. Only a few islands.

But what about amazons? The mermaids need some adversaries.

Yea no continent could be a real challenge but what about the cliffs, the dwarven route in moutains? I'll guess the map will have large sea ares with the archipelagos and lot of islands....
    Amazons? sounds good. Thanks for the additonnal ideas guys

I'm starting to see a quick setting like this: Lands are mostly inhabited by dwarves clans, except for large coastals areas where lives humans. Dwarves and humans use to trade, using the trading roda through the moutains that separate their own lands. In the sea lives some mermaids folks (maybe and elven-type folk) , who obviously seduce ( inpurpose or on accident) the human fishers male that go on those seas and made them kind of slaves with some magic that changes them into a race of landwater fishmen. Slowly the male gender has began to disapeared from the coastal lands and human females trained themselves to war to fight those baaaad mermaids who keep stealing their husbands and sons away, becoming the feared Amazons!

Well since I recently had a commission for a new map, I'll probably work on this interesting one later...

Or to do something a little different/opposite - Selkies from Irish/Gaelic mythology appear as both female and male, (like mermaids and mermen) and would take human wives. You could identify a Selkie by the wet hem of his pants, usually bare feet, and in some stories they would have seaweed in their hair and always be slightly damp/smelling like the sea. They could turn into seals, and when they weren't seals they had a sealskin they kept hidden away. If someone found the sealskin, they could kill the Selkie by destroying it, or they could even sometimes become a seal themselves; more often then not, though, the Selkie would simply return to the sea (because usually, the human wife, or husband of a female Selkie, wouldn't know the Selkie was a Selkie). Humans could also force a Selkie to remain in human form by hiding the sealskin, but often the Selkie would die of sadness because they could no longer return to the sea.

Mermaids were sometimes portrayed as seductive, but Sirens were also water-based sprites and were far more dangerous and prone to seducing sailors in order to eat them (sometimes before they'd properly drowned). Naiads weren't 1/2 fish and were closer to being spirits, but were often portrayed in a human form like Dryads; they had a lot of power, but could die if they were restricted from returning to the sea.

And that's a lot of information for a side-project ^-^ Very cool idea, though, and now I feel like trying this. Maybe invert all the ideas here and try something down that road ... ^___^v

Maybe the Amazons could be at war with the Selkie's/merfolk because the believe these water people are the ones responsible for sinking their island cities or creating the whirlpools that make ocean travel so dangerous? Or if the Amazons are 1/2 breed descendents, maybe they see themselves as more advanced? They can live indefinitely on land, but can also live underwater (or at least stay under way longer than humans), maybe.

Well, again - cool idea x^_^x Good luck on your new commission, and I hope you find time to work in this project too!

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Thanks for the ideas :-) well the commission work I was talking about was Kerngard's map so it's done for afew weeks now.But I have several projects running at the moment. I'll may get back to this when I'll be done/bored with them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12