Thread: Calling Spelunkers/Cave designers! Updating cave system - a mess!

Guild Novice

Help Calling Spelunkers/Cave designers! Updating cave system - a mess!

Greetings, fellow intrepid cave cartographers! I have been using CC2/CC2 Pro/CC* (whatever) and I was asked to update an old cave system map. Opening the old file, there are problems/solutions that I may not recognize. I have managed to get the cave system to print on a bitmap and jpeg so far. The problem comes in when I try to add contrast to the background and make the caves more visible to the eye. This is not working. I have been led to believe that Multipolies (If I try to use them) leak in this structure, so 'merely' changing the background color is probably out. The Multipolies have been leaking where one cave joins another. I am glad to paste a jpeg up here so you can see the problem. Everything is meant to be connected. Please be free with your suggestions/criticisms!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013ForumDiscussion.JPG 
Views:	335 
Size:	388.8 KB 
ID:	51687

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sorpaw

Guild Novice

I have been informed that there may be no way to "fix" this map. All I wanted to do was add a light background to it to provide some contrast. Any ideas before I abandon it?

Sorpaw

No need to abandon. Yes indeed the caves 'leak' into the background - there are one or more gaps in your lines.

I was easily able to isolate the background in gimp. Here is the shaded map. I also attack a black .png with just the isolated layer so you can select it.

Name:	Map.png 
Views:	554 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	51789

The method I used was: select by colour (all black). Then stroke selection 2 pixels with a black pen/ or else enlarge selection by 1 pixel and fill with black.

Name:	MapBlack.png 
Views:	251 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	51790

Note: I did a quick job so there are errors that would need to be touched up.

Guild Novice

THANK YOU!! What software did you use? I was at a loss as to what to do.. This was an adaption of an old plan (1979) and I would like to use it in the future.

Cordially,

Sorpaw

No problem. I used GIMP (It's like a free version of adobe photoshop). You could use any programme that allows you to select all pixels of a specific colour on your image: quite a lot of image programmes have that - but not windows paint which comes with your PC.

Guild Novice

I will try to find GIMP online. I hope that I can. This is an old plan and (hopefully) some new life!

Sorpaw

Latest version is 2.8.2 (GIMP - Downloads) but its quite tricky to use for a starter. Can't you just use the map I uploaded for you above?

Guild Novice

I have never used GIMP, so it is all new - I am impressed with the maps you attached. How do I use them? They are (especially the shaded map) JUST what I was looking for!

Sorpaw