Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sketchup Dungeon

Post Sketchup Dungeon

Using a map that I found from Dyson's Dodecahedron, I wanted to see what I could do with Google Setchup to make a 2-D Map into a 3-D Model.

So first I started with his original 2D map.

Name:  oathbreakers-hall.jpg
Views: 4685
Size:  4.6 KB

And I saw that he had a number of stairs set into the halls so I calculated that each set of stair was only 5' tall. That meant that (if the ceilings were 10' or so) that I would need to pull the whole map up to 20 feet and then 'push' down each chamber and hall to give it the dimension of depth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cave-dungeon-01.png 
Views:	38194 
Size:	488.6 KB 
ID:	51713

Once I cut in the stairs and added in recessed doors it really started to take shape.

Name:	cave-dungeon-02.png 
Views:	3919 
Size:	376.2 KB 
ID:	51714

I added some textures to give the depth some contrast (because it's sometimes hard to tell with all the white walls) and decided that for this incarnation the walls were made out of cut stone and the floor was tiled with paving stones.

Name:	cave-dungeon-03.png 
Views:	6225 
Size:	961.7 KB 
ID:	51715

I left much of the original image on the surface so you could see Dyson's cross-hatching and get a sense of how the 2-D map became the 3-D model.

Comments?

-GP

oh yeah - you can also do walk-thru videos with Sketchup.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

*THUNK* (jaw hit table)

Comments?

Yup, I GOTTA learn Sketch-Up!!!!!!!

Very nicely done Repping!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

That's just coolness
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Artisan

Dude, that was sick!

Green Pilgrim - this has got to be the future of dungeon maps. Would you consider doing a short tutorial on how you did that? I am dimly aware that google sketchup is free and easy to use, but haven't used it. I'd really appreciate a simple guide to how you did that for dummies like me to follow. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Green Pilgrim - this has got to be the future of dungeon maps. Would you consider doing a short tutorial on how you did that? I am dimly aware that google sketchup is free and easy to use, but haven't used it. I'd really appreciate a simple guide to how you did that for dummies like me to follow. Well done.
    Your wish is granted. I've posted the tutorial here.

Enjoy.

-GP

Thank you so much. I have downloaded Sketchup 8 (the free version, not the PRO version) and tried to follow the tutorial. I have the following problems:

1) I did steps 1-4 successfully! But step 5 threw me. I was not pulling the image; instead I was pulling the base image which was below it. It had the same effect at the time.

2) When I try to draw on the map (step 6), it draws the lines between the map-drawing and the rectangular extruded shape below it. This means that I am drawing the lines, but they are not visible. I can only see my lines when I 'hide' my map.

3) So I finally drew some freehand lines around a room, but this took many attempts and I had to go back and fix some errors, so the lines (although they all connect) do not make a shape. When I select a line, it only selects that particular line. When I select all the lines that make my room, so I can push it down, it won't let me. How do I combine all these individual line segments into one constant line that can define a face and allow me to pull and push?

I've tried to look up my questions on google but I was unable to make any headway; perhaps because my sketchup vocabulary is all wrong.

EDIT: I tried again and had the same issues. One more thing I did wrong: in step 4 you specify 'Make sure the bottom left point of the image lines up with the intersection of the three axis lines. When this happens the dot will turn yellow.' My dot turns green but it never turns yellow. Is this the source of my problem?

EDIT2: WORKED IT OUT!!!!
    When you import your map (Step 4) make sure to click on 'Import as texture' on the right when you select the file. Otherwise it will import as an image, which you really don't want. This seems to fix most problems.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 02-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Jack,

Can't wait to see what you did as your test project.

I am not sure why the dot didn't turn yellow for you. It's possible that I have an older version of Sketchup and it's just a weird little quirk between the two versions. Glad that you got that part figured out.

Thanks for the clarification on step 4. I'll edit the tutorial.

Glad it worked out for you.
    -GP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast