Thread: fantasy map iconic island - question for torstan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question fantasy map iconic island - question for torstan

Hey torstan how do you set these map packs up? From RPG site it says 11 x 17 @ 300 dpi, is this what you actually set them at or do you double the size to 22 x 34 and at 300 dpi? And while I'm pestering you what's your preferred programs PS or Gimp, Illustrator etc. I know you've made suggestions for alot of different software, just wondered your workflow preference. Nice new map btw.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

Feels like this could have been done via private messaging?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It's fine, it's a more general question about map pack structures.

I create my maps at the required final print size. Usually it's single page letter - 8.5 by 11 - at 300dpi. In this case it's 11 by 17. I've done higher resolution a couple of times, but there's really little need and it ends up taking more time in the end, for little gain.

I now illustrate almost exclusively in Photoshop, though I mean to get better at Illustrator.

Thank you sir I wondered if you felt whether or not it was worth it to draw oversize and then reduce for better print resolution at 300 dpi, so thanks. I think this helps newbie PS users like me to visualize the scale of digital drawing elements when we have an 8.5 x 11 or 11 x 14 actual size reference to go by.