Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP Kerngard - fantasy map

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A few progress : some more forests, hills and rocky terrains...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kerngard6.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	51823

Not much of an advance, I had to teached The HoarseWhisperer how to draw cliffs * friendly joke* Testing out painting/colors on moutains range... (also added a few woods and the cairns and tried to work on towns icons but nothing really convincing to show at the moment)

Name:	moutains color1.jpg 
Views:	1435 
Size:	990.3 KB 
ID:	51832

update : I did coloring up the whole mountains ranges and on the forests (no blending work with terrains atm, they still need colors too)

Name:	Kerngard7.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	51859

More steps into colors. I also made some changes/adjusts on a few things.

Name:	Kerngard8.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	51863

Default Tutorial please?

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Added compass and rhumb lines and while I was at it, I did a second one (couldn't help myself). Also worked a bit on colors/textures of land and sea and added highlights on sea around the coasts.

Attachment 51745
    Hey this map looks awesome man! Would it be possible for me to know the steps you took to get to this second image? It would also be nice if you could do a tutorial for the compass that you've made too

This is beautiful work! I particularly like the rune shields. Are you planning to leave the megalith icons as they are or shade them like the rest of the features?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

@Justlikesang : Thanks Do you want to know the steps between the two last pictures or the two first ones of the thread? Unfortunately I don't have that much time to make a tutorial about the compass but in short: drawn lines, mixed with vector knots, erased a bit with soft grunge brush to give it a light distressed look, set to multiply and decreased opacity, added colors layers behind (one base layers, 2 dark/shades layers, 3 light/highlights layers).
    @Midgardsormr: Thank you. Cromlechs and cairns icons will be colored. In fact they already are but I didn't made an update....I haven't go further that much since the last one :/
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-07-2013 at 05:27 PM.

That's a very beautiful map Max! I really like the shield icons. They look great.

It would really help if you could show the first two images that you've posted (from scratch to land, sea, and such).
    And thanks for the short compass tips, I will try to learn from other tutorial and try your method.

Thank you Lyandra
    @ Justlikesang : I didn't save any image before the ones I've already posted at the start of the thread. Basically I drawn coastlines, added several textures layers for sea (with several blending modes) and did the same for the land. Then I adjusted colors/added a few brushes touch on it. Not sure it will help you but I can't really do a very detailed WIP/Tutorial since the map needs a lot of work :/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast