Thread: Ho Yes

Guild Novice

Post Ho Yes

Hello. I'm new here as most of you probably know. I hate introductions, I feel as though I'm at an AA meeting.

Hmm.... where should I start?

I'm a gamer by nature and I love to make maps. I guess I joined CG so that I can make some D&D dungeon maps and maybe make some overland maps too. I'm not real familiar with all the "map terminology" so please forgive me if I sound ridiculous. I have many interests and I don't know if I have the time (or money) to make maps but I'd like to try.

I have always doodled in the corners of my homework paper, in my textbooks and on various pieces of paper I could find but I've never really had any professional schooling as far as drawing goes. As far as making maps I usually draw them by hand or try to draw them on MS Paint. I don't have Gimp or Inkscape (never really heard of those before) and I certainly don't have PS. Some of the "overland" maps on here that I like are by artists "Schwarzkreuz", "Vorropohaia". My mind is going blank...

I like dungeon maps for games such as D&D, and I do like the "graph line maps" or dungeon maps that I've seen on Dudjinni and CC3. I think those would be awesome to make but I've never had any experience with auto cad. Do I need to? I'm not a very technical kind of guy. I hate math. I took a technical drawing class in 9th grade and I hated it.

I guess that's about it for now.

Guild Novice

67 views yet 0 replies... This is going to be a rocky start. I must have come to the wrong place.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Be patient, some of us are kind of busy with mapping works or RL work and stuff and most of the viewers are not members but guests who can't post here. Btw maybe you could define what you're looking for with more details?

Guild Artisan

I dont think you need to have experience in autocad to work CC3. I didnt have any and found it wasnt hard to start mapping citites, pretty much click and place. I can't speak for Dundjinni other than they have a ton of symobls over there on the forum.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Hi Auric - welcome to the guild.

Mapping is more about what you draw than how you draw it. If you're used to sketching on graph paper, then start with that. Upload a few pics - even if you snap them with a phone camera - of your sketches and you'll get feedback pretty quickly. Gimp is a free program that does a lot of what Photoshop can achieve. It's a useful place to start out with computer graphics.

The best way to begin is to upload a sketch and say what's wrong with it, and where you want to get to. Then people can give you some clear advice. I hope that helps, and welcome to the guild!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Kier is right about not needing AutoCad experience to use CC3. CC3 is a cad BASED program, like way back in the dark ages I believe it was writen in the autocad scripting language....but it has moved on quite a bit. It still uses some of the same interfaces, but it is really an object orientated program. If you DO have Autocad experience, it does make learning some of theose interfaces MUCH faster, but really is not nessary. There are plenty of tutorials for CC3 on youtube so you can get in the swing quite easily with those.

And Yes, I was one of those visits with no posts...Sorry but sometimes the time only allows browsing but not enough to post anything relivant....today is a good day

So a belated Welcome to the Guild the Mappiest Place on the Web
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

I should actually thank all of you. I do apologize for my coarseness. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk, it's just that sometimes it comes out that way when I type.

Okay I'll start uploading some of my work soon! Currently I am working on a very basic and small dungeon map but it doesn't look that good graphics wise. It is being done on MS Paint with Vista, so pretty basic. I'm not sure how everything will go as I am basing the design on D&D and since I am new to the genre, I am working in the dark.

Also, I will be making a large overland map in the future. I can't really say what I need help with yet for that one but I'll let you any/all know in the next several weeks ahead.

Btw, thank you tortsan.

That's good to hear about CC3, I wasn't sure how it works.

Thank you Max, Kier, tortsan & Korash!