Howdy folks.

So my next project is trying to get better at my aerial mapping skills.

So I sketched out a basic concept for a small logging camp that sits on a plot of land between a river and a dense forest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp-01a-650px.png 
Views:	453 
Size:	717.2 KB 
ID:	51780

Using gimp I threw in some light color to define some of the areas so I could tell where the forest was and the river.

Name:	camp-02-650px.png 
Views:	492 
Size:	805.3 KB 
ID:	51781

The project will require a number of skills that I'm a little hazy on (read as: no clue how to do them) so if anyone would like to point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Elements:

1. Topographic Elevation. I have a rise to the right that I want to bring out in the design.
  2. Ditch: The logging camp is surrounded by a dry moat or ditch. I'm not sure how to illustrate that but I'm guessing it will involve shading.
  3. Log Walls: I have an idea of what I want the walls to look like (see image below) but I'm not sure how the original artist accomplished this.
  4. Tents: I could easily just grab a tent from Dundjinni but I was wanting to try my hand at making the areas look like cloth if possible. Thanks to Larb I know how to make fairly good-looking roofs but...not cloth.

Name:	Fort-phase-1a.png 
Views:	2694 
Size:	251.5 KB 
ID:	51782
This was taken from an old 'Map-A-Week' image I grabbed from D&D's website. I like how you can tell each post in the wall.

Any hints / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
-GP