Thread: Eyar Madhri Island Nation by Greason Wolfe

Threaded View

Wip Eyar Madhri Island Nation by Greason Wolfe

This is the first of four islands that make up the Eyar Madhri nation. It took me about a day (using a modification of the techniques outlined by waldronate in this tutorial) to build the base terrain for this initial render in Terragen. At first, I was going to build all the islands as a single file for rendering in Terragen, but ultimately opted to build each island individually for maximum detail. Eventually, once Iíve done a final render of each island, Iíll bring them together in a single map that will ultimately become part of a world map.

Iíve still got quite a bit of work to do with this specific map (i.e. finalizing rivers and lakes, adding forests and other significant terrain features, tweaking the elevation file), but I expect that things will move along at a fairly good pace until Iím ready to start working on the other islands.

As a bit of background, the Eyar Madhri nation is based on a mixture of Amazonian and Norse (Valkyrie) mythologies with a little bit of Descolada Virus (Orson Scott Cardís ďSpeaker for the DeadĒ) stirred in to complete the underlying religious beliefs and cultural structure of the inhabitants. Iíll save the details of those beliefs and the cultural structure for another time, but if you are familiar with the afore mentioned mythologies and Orsonís book, it will, hopefully, give you an idea of where things are headed.

On a side note, itís good to be feeling productive again. Itís been over a year since the last time I posted anything other than an occasional comment here or there. Much of that year has been taken up by work, and, to be honest, a lack of motivation and/or drive to do any mapping work. Hopefully Iíll be able to maintain both the motivation and drive to see this project through to the end.

GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EM - WIP - 001a.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	335.6 KB 
ID:	51804  
    When nothing is going right and you can't find someone else to blame, start beating your head against the wall, 'cause it'll feel so much better when you stop.