Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am a mapaholic

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post I am a mapaholic

Hello gang,

My name is Chris, I'm 37. I've been mapping for about 5 years, mostly making worlds an continents so when I stumbled across this "mappers anonymous" club I new I could get some help with my mapping problems (I've been wanting to do city-size maps but didn't know where to start). My style is very loose and free with lots of levity and not too much adherence to the core rules. The party members all manifest some sort of psychological disorder and this really makes things fun (although beginner gamers find it hard to stay in-character). We do the whole psych thing 'cuz we were psych students.

Ciao 4 now

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Hello gang,

My name is Chris, I'm 37. I've been mapping for about 5 years, mostly making worlds an continents so when I stumbled across this "mappers anonymous" club I new I could get some help with my mapping problems (I've been wanting to do city-size maps but didn't know where to start). My style is very loose and free with lots of levity and not too much adherence to the core rules. The party members all manifest some sort of psychological disorder and this really makes things fun (although beginner gamers find it hard to stay in-character). We do the whole psych thing 'cuz we were psych students.

Ciao 4 now
    Welcome Ascension. Don't sell your self short. The city map you just posted is a very good piece of work, with just a few easily fixed issues. Post your world and regional maps as soon as possible!

Also, what do you map with? Looks like PS, GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, or something like that in your other thread.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome fellow addict.

Make sure you check out the tutorial section.

- Sigurd

Most welcome from a fellow addict, who have onely one real laps into citymapping on her CV.

Hope you will like it here
    //Anna

[In chorused and slightly trance-like monotone] Hi Chris.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Welcome Chris,

Can't wait to see more of your work!

I use Photoshop almost exclusively. I've fiddled around with Terragen but the output image is always messed up in a top-down view (anomalies around the edges, particle interference from ambiance washing out the colors etc). Also with Bryce but I mess things up quite a bit and Bryce is not very flexible for that (steep learning curve). I've tried every free art, 3d, and map or world making program out there but I always come back to Photoshop. Granted there are many things it can not do (colored brushes or painting with a pattern or properly rotating a brush while stroking a path or having objects cast shadows instead of simply plopping down a floating dark space, etc). So I just work around these limitations, which takes ten times longer but gives more control in the end anyway.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Greetings Chris... good name. I too am addicted to maps...
    Good first map post btw.... Welcome to the guild..

Thank you all for the kind words and let me say that I hold you all in the highest regards...and since I'm rather new here I shall do my best to remain quiet since I tend to ramble and stick my foot in my mouth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast