Thread: Port City with Five Districts

Question Port City with Five Districts

I'm wondering if someone would be able to create for me a map of a port city with five districts. I'll describe what I want here:

To the Northwest is the ocean, and the only part of the city that isn't walled in. This is also where the Warehouse and shipping District is (lots of big warehouses and some docks). To the northeast is the city entrance, which leads directly into the Greater Market, which forms a semicircle around the entrance and the northeast corner of the city. Slightly to the West is the Shipping Market (where products imported from the shipping district are distributed and sold). Between these two markets and slightly to the south is the Lesser Market (slightly smaller than the greater market). All three of these markets are part of the Market District, which contains mostly scattered houses surrounding the three markets. To the southeast of the city is the Tavern and Inn District. This city is a dark one with a lot of drunks and thieves, so there are a lot of alleyways in this district. To the southwest of the city is the Military and Government District, where a large building serves as the housing for the government of the city and it is surrounded by smaller buildings for military training and barracks. And in the middle of all of these Districts is the Residential district, which houses apartment buildings and townhomes.

Please post what you have created (or brainstormed) in this thread.

OK, PJ12, that does give a feel for the city, but there's still a bunch of helpful info you can provide. Take a look at the Requesting-a-map-Please-read-me sticky topic at the top of this forum. Style, timeframe, purpose, and a host of other qualifiers that'll distinguish between what would satisfy you and what would not.

Oh! I'm new to the thread, so I apologize that this wasn't enough detail. Here's the link you gave me with my details in it:

Subject

See above for the description.
    I'd like for the whole city to be about six miles wide (like, half of manhattan) and about six miles tall. i guess, per inch......in the drawing I made (which I am unable to upload, sorry. it was only a sketch of the outlines of each district) it was about one mile per inch, so, double that.....i'd say, officially, .3 miles per inch, but feel free to mess around with it.

Style
    I guess a city that has the style of this http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/v...m/Glastona.png You know, the straight-forward, slightly 3D look? basically the classic city cartographer. i don't know how else to describe it. I'd like it to be in color, please.

Quality & Size

I guess anything that anyone can come up with. I can't pay for it, so I'm not expected Michelangelo or anything. I guess just normal quality. As for size, maybe 24 inches by 24 inches? slightly smaller works, anything larger works too.

Time Constraints

None. Take your time.

Copyright
    The artist will retain copyright of the map.

Contact Details

pinkjaguar12--gmail.com
    (convert -- to @)

I think that's it! hopefully that was a bit more detailed. can't wait to see what people come up with!

Your city sounds interesting, it reminds me a bit of the city of Neverwinter (from Neverwinter Nights 1&2). It also has the district thing going on.

As a practical matter, are you aware that if you are going to put a 6 mile wide city on a 24 inch wide map you end up with about 1300 feet per inch? Houses would probably be too small to be displayed like in the map you provided a link to. Maybe a smaller city would be more feasible?

Hope you can find someone to make this for you!

oh, you have a good point. i'm not very good with distances.....maybe something more like 2-3 miles across and 2-3 miles tall? that sounds a bit better.

also, i have seen that city before! i really liked it. it's definitely what i am looking for with this one (though I would much rather prefer the buildings to be closer together, and with more alleyways). i just wanted one of my own.
    Last edited by pinkjaguar12; 06-28-2012 at 12:40 AM.

has anyone had a chance to look at this and create something?