Hello All!

This is both my first contest entry and my first post, so a quick intro seems appropriate. I started becoming interested in map-making about 3 months ago, when I started thinking about building a DnD campaign world. After searching for a map that would work for my world, I eventually came to the conclusion that my best bet would be making one myself, and shortly thereafter I stumbled upon these forums. I previously had zero experience with photoshop or Gimp (which is what I've taken to using), but the many tutorials here have been extremely helpful, and my first trial map was already leaps and bounds better than what I hoped to produce. When I saw the Lite Challenge, I thought this would be a fun way to make some more practice maps and continue improving, until I get to the point where I'm ready to tackle the huge project I have in my brain for my campaign.

So when I read the challenge, the first thought I had was a Christopher Columbus style exploration thing, which is what has shaped this map so far. I purposefully stretched it out long and narrow to try to capture the deep blue sea feeling. This is still an early draft, but I think the land shapes, trees, and mountains are all staying where they are. I still have a lot of work to do with color, texture, and of course the journey itself, but I wanted to get the first posted to make sure I would keep myself going. Peer pressure and all that.

"Brave New World"
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BraveNewWorldv1.0.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	51825

Hope you like it so far, and I'll be looking to post an update by tomorrow.