Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June Entry: Tirylus

Post June Entry: Tirylus

Airith. I would really like to do the city of Tirylus for the challenge this month. I discovered that your region still doesn't have a name. Have you come up with one since posting the map?

Also is there any more infor on Tirylus that you have, whether you've posted it ot not? Any suggestions and creative help would be greatly appreciated.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

I haven't heard anything from Airith so I'm really doing my own thing with the city. I've only really been working on layout so far, but this is what I've got up to this point. Lots of work to do still.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juncitybase.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	4272  

Guild Journeyer

Looking good so far. What is the population suppose to be?

Few questions:

1. Why do you have massive walls, but apparently no gates? (or why are you allowing people to build houses in the middle of your gates?)

2. What is the building in the middle right, that has the long narrow parts coming out of it, and running up the streets? Is that just an error? Or is it some cool building that has some interesting function?

3. at the north end of the wall, by the gate, you have houses outside your wall, but there is no gate to that section of land. Why not move the north gate to the other side of the river, and act as a way to cross all 'three' rivers in that region?

Hope to see more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Looking good so far. What is the population suppose to be?

Few questions:

1. Why do you have massive walls, but apparently no gates? (or why are you allowing people to build houses in the middle of your gates?)

2. What is the building in the middle right, that has the long narrow parts coming out of it, and running up the streets? Is that just an error? Or is it some cool building that has some interesting function?

3. at the north end of the wall, by the gate, you have houses outside your wall, but there is no gate to that section of land. Why not move the north gate to the other side of the river, and act as a way to cross all 'three' rivers in that region?

Hope to see more soon.
    1. I'm not really sure. How many does the size suggest?
    2. The narrow parts are the extant sections of some of the original town walls. Most of the stone has been taken for buildings, and several buildings actuall incorporated the old wall in their structure.
    3. I am planning to build a bridge across the river in that area. The area outside contains a spa area where people go to "take the waters" which are believed to have magical curative properties. It isn't as polluted as it is within the city's walls.

Torq

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Lookin' really great, Torq! That's some volume of housing that you're generating! I'm lucky if I can build one a day!
    Thanks Ravs. As for the housing, I'm not doing the structures individually. Drawing each structure makes mapping cities almost impossible for those who dont have many hours in the day to spend on it.

The basics of the layout are done using RPG City map generator. That produces about a third of the buildings. I find them too small so I "supersize" them to add volume. The second third (the more detialed buildings) are cut and pastes from the Lankhmar geomorphs that were posted here a while back, and the last third use a Gimp brush that RobA made. This makes the small buildings. I do a lot of manual tidying and shadowing.

Torq

woah! I completely forgot to look through this section. Thanks for doing one of my cities Torq! I'll type up my stuff in a bit, I've been thinking for a while, but haven't really put anything to paper. I looked over the map, but don't worry if whatever I say doesn't work with it, my fault for being late.

Tirylus is an Orvaelos border city, beside Bruskos. It's quite far from other big settlements, so it probably has to have everything to exist that far out. It has its own garrison as well. I kind of thought that it would use the southern river as a natural wall, but since you've already gone over both banks it doesn't matter. 2 major roads, one going east following along the river, to a castle, the other west over the river to the capital city. I'm kind of thinking of giving my region a more ancient chinese dynasty theme, but still thinking about other ideas. Also, probably quite a bit of farmland east of the city. The area south and a bit southwest of the city is covered with gnoll warbands, and possibly orcs. *cough* sadly no name for the region...

Hopefully you can read through that mess of ideas I just spewed out. You don't have to follow it that closely, it will be your map after all. If you have other questions I'll answer them now that I know about the thread I've also added an update of my map (i finally did those roads) in my thread.
    Last edited by Airith; 06-12-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

A bit more work done on this.

Torq

###Latest WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	juncitybase.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	4316  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty farmland. Coming along nicely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast