Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Town Buildings List

Green Pilgrim: just look up 'livery companies' on Wikipedia. There's a list of all the guilds of London; they're even in the order of preeminence within the city.

GP:

There should also be:
    Miller
    Smith
    Armorer
    Physicians and Herbalists
    Cooper
    Weaver

Just to name a few more.

From the Game Master's Guide of our free Dungeons Daring (TM) RPG:

Armor-/Weaponsmith
    Assayer
    Bakery
    Barrelmaker
    Boat Builder
    Bookbinder
    Bookkeeper
    Brewery
    Butcher
    Carpenter
    Cartographer
    Chandler
    Coachman
    Coal Dealer
    Cobbler
    Consulting Mage
    Dairy
    Distillery
    Docks
    Feed dealer
    Firewood Dealer
    Foundry
    General Store
    Glazier
    Goldsmith
    Grain Mill
    Harbor
    Herbal Apothecary
    Herbal Witch
    Horse Trader
    Inn
    Jeweler
    Kiln
    Library (Private)
    Mason
    Mercenary Company
    Money Changer
    Painter
    Parchment Maker
    Professional Healer
    Professionals
    Public house with rooms
    Public house
    Raftsman
    Rendering (Tallow)
    Sage
    Sawmill
    School
    Scribe
    Shipbuilder
    Slaughterhouse
    Smithy
    Spinning Mill
    Stone Quarry
    Tailor/Seamstress
    Tannery
    Temple with Services
    Timber Operation
    Tinker
    Tinsmith
    Toolmaker
    Trading Coster
    Village, Town or City Hall
    Vintner
    Wainwright
    Warehouse

For more info or to download Dungeons Daring:

http://www.vintyri.org
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

This is a hard list to contribute to without knowing at least the time period. A medieval town is very different to a classical era town, which is very different to a modern town. Medieval towns were pretty small - between about 2,000 and 7,000 people - and functioned primarily as trading markets for the surrounding farming villages which they supported. A typical town would have very little in it - between 2 and 5 tradesmen offering services not available in individual villages, a couple of inns/taverns, and a bunch of merchants.

Of course it's all dependent on context. A larger town on a main route between a couple of cities would have many more inns, while a town near a coast would likely have fishmongers.

Guild Applicant

Awesome thread! I will be sure to use this. I'm building a Minecraft city in Single-player (just to find out it'll probably be a hamlet with a wall around it XD.) I have hosted a server before, so I could again, if there was someone interested in building a real city on Minecraft. (for those who don't know Minecraft is a 3D gaming system with an extensive community, so the server could get plugins like WorldEdit and WorldPainter to make the building a little easier.) I will definitely use this thread to help me build this town and any in the future
    Last edited by Ninja8370; 10-31-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Yup - the thread was created, essentially, to get people to add their own ideas. Since there are so many possible variations of a 'town list', the idea of having LOTS of possible locations (we're up to 3 pages now) is always useful.

Thanks folks and keep 'em coming!

-GP
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Blog Entries

I thought I had my populations all figured out, then I come back here, and I don't have even half of this stuff!
    Have you "liked" a post today?

A critical point of these lists is that not every town will be able to support every one of those industries. Armorers, for example, are highly-specialized tradesfolk that will typically be present in only the largest gatherings of rich people. Those in smaller trade centers will need to travel to find an armorer. Similarly, every village may not have a blacksmith, but there will likely be at least one for every few villages to repair the day-to-day items. Farmers or other fundamental producers are likely to be found in virtually every hamlet.

Central place theory ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_place_theory for a useful overview ) is a useful starting point for helping to determine regional trade patterns; these trade patterns and a good idea of how large/rich your town is can help in understanding what's present in your town. Note that the ideal drawings shown in the above-referenced article assume a uniform landscape with no impediments to travel. Also note that the "distance" referenced is approximately a time-of-travel/energy-of-travel value. Barriers to travel such as large rivers, mountains, deserts, or even hostile local governments (under which oversized flying lizards can be broadly grouped) will all significantly affect the shape of the network; enhancements to travel such as good roads, navigable rivers, and even trade-friendly law enforcement groups will push the network shapes in the other direction. I know that I would much rather (and have) detour down a well-maintained and well-patrolled road than go a shorter distance through more dangerous territory, especially if takes about the same amount of time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    A critical point of these lists is that not every town will be able to support every one of those industries. Armorers, for example, are highly-specialized tradesfolk that will typically be present in only the largest gatherings of rich people. Those in smaller trade centers will need to travel to find an armorer. Similarly, every village may not have a blacksmith, but there will likely be at least one for every few villages to repair the day-to-day items. Farmers or other fundamental producers are likely to be found in virtually every hamlet.

Yeah my problem is that I did calculations for how many of each profession there would be, including everything from nobility to beggars to children - and used really precise numbers (within 20) of my total *national* population... and then figured out how many farms/farmers/livestock I would need to support them... and now I realize my calculations are way off because there'd be a lot of these things I missed *somewhere* in my country

So, back to the math-y stuff, I suppose :/

Or maybe I'll just make it pretty and inaccurate...
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Sorry to necro this old thread, but I realized that everyone who commented was focusing on the 'quality' parts of a city/town, not the parts that aren't as pretty or functional. Such as:

• slums
    • ruins
    • collapsed buildings
    • sewers
    • brothels
    • drug dens
    • sinkholes
    • trash pits
    • seemingly normal small businesses that are actually fronts for illicit activity
    • shantytowns
    • areas where the homeless gather
    • leper colonies

I guess it shows that I like my fantasy gritty and harsh, with lots of problems and externalities.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast