Thread: Jan/Feb lite challenge entry - Road to Usint

Wip Jan/Feb lite challenge entry - Road to Usint

Hi im just beginning to learn to make wilderness maps (have some experience with dungeons and the like) and thought a challenge is a great way to test my skills. This is my first draft, just toying with layers and textures, I don't know very well yet the story behind this journey.

## WIP##
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Journey.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	51879
    Last edited by angelroble; 02-06-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: I marked it Latest WIP

Im quite near of how I want the terrain look.
    The journey will be of one farmer that wants to sell some goods in Usnit
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	89 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	51908
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 02-06-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added correct Latest WIP tags

Nice work so far, like the hilly areas.

You almost had the ### wip tags right, I have added the correct tags to your last post (the only one that really matters for this) and you can use the same tags for any future posting of images.

Have fun!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wip

Thank you Jaxilon!!

Im almost done. Have some doubts about the colors: should I use a brown coloration, or a more diverse color range? The two first maps were color filtered, my last version isn't.
    What I'm happy with: I was worried that woods would hide the terrain below, that's common in a lot of maps (so you can see the trees, but not if there is a mountain or hill or valley, etc.); i'm quite satisfied with the result, given the time it took to me. I also think the woods properly are fine, and so are the hills and mountains.
    What I'm not so happy with: the sea; the rivers and how they join the sea. Maybe the towns and keeps, I have to consider alternatives; the road. And given that this is a map for a chalenge about a journey, I think the map is a bit out of focus: maybe too much visual information (it could have been lighter, allowing a text with the notes from the journey). Perhaps I will be able to correct some of this, we'll see.
    I hope I got it right:
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	67 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	51921

I received a warning when I posted yesterday: a moderator should approve my post?? It seems there is no approval yet.
    Anyway I'm posting another WIP. If I don't think about anything to change, this will be the last version.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	1577 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	51967

Somehow it looks like you got tagged as spam. Not sure what that means unless someone just accidently reported your posting as spam. I think you are ok but I'll try to verify that.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I had the same issue with putting up my second update, though the post did eventually show up. I wasn't sure if it was because I used the quick reply option or just because it was my second post total, in my own thread without any other replies. My guess would be the latter, if you had the same problem I did.

BTW, your map looks great, especially looking at the progress from the first WIP to the final version. Looks like it came together really quick!

My final map. Zoomed it a bit out and changed a pair of things, like the symbols of keeps. Not unhappy with the final result, but definitely some things I have to learn, so I will be checking the tutorials, brushes etc.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	188 
Size:	3.84 MB 
ID:	52128

Very nice and pleasant-looking map ! How did you do the mountains ?
    Keep u p the very good work !

Thanks Mystic!
    The terrain is made with 4 layers in PS: the base with the grass texture, a valley layer (bevel&emboss low, fill none), a hill layer and a mountain layer (both bevel&emboss high, fill none)