Thread: Geo Relief Maps

Default Geo Relief Maps

This is a French company that makes 3d maps printed onto plastic; they're pretty cool. I found one when I was in France.

You can't really get an idea of the pictures on the website but the plastic has been shaped to fit the contours of the land.

Website here: http://www.georelief.com/fab.php

There's a bunch of outfits that supply these beautiful raised relief maps, from standard sheet sizes up to honking big versions. You can get our planet as well as other ones. Some sites show how they're done (I knew I needed a CNC mill for SoMeThInG!). I'm not sure where one crosses over from raised-relief map to architectural model... or even engineering tool. I can see if you use oak, it's Fine Art as far as i'm concerned! Since what we see on the Guild here is digital, even if only by way of scanning in paper, it's an interesting thought to explore 3-d renders of simulated raised-relief.

My favorite, though is done in chocolate.... yum!

Pretty cool, and Jb: Ahahahaha.. ^^ Agree with the chocolate one.

Thank you, Ravells! I really like 3D maps - I fondly remember my family dragging one along on camping trips in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park when I was a kid.

Hi guys

These look awesome. Anyone know anywhere good to get these from in the UK? Looking for one of the Lake District for a Christmas present.

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries

If you had asked me a few months back I could have made one but I have had to move the workshop so its all in pieces at the mo. If you need help making the cutter path for someone else to cut it tho then I can help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCartographer View Post
    Hi guys

These look awesome. Anyone know anywhere good to get these from in the UK? Looking for one of the Lake District for a Christmas present.

Thanks in advance
    Hi CC

I know it's a bit late as Santa came ages ago but in case you are still looking there is a good selection of UK National Park 3d relief maps on this website. Including the Lake District. I'm Yorkshire all the way myself so I have the Yorkshire Dales one.

Cheers

Jon

That's really cool! I would love to have a 3D model of the ranch I work for!

I love the link-heavy response. That's how dissing will be done in the future.
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }