Thread: Its not original but "Hi"

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Post Its not original but "Hi"

Hi everyone. Not really sure how best to introduce myself ... Where it relates to an interest in maps then ... I grew up in a literature-loving household and I suppose I always liked to 'see' where the stories were taking place - even more so when based in fantasy. Brian Jacques, and then Tolkein, McCaffrey and Pratchett always fascinated me - and I spent as much time on the maps as I did in the stories.

As I got older and wrote more and more, these maps remained with me. Its a shame that my talent (and so modest too) for writing doesn't naturally extend to a talent for drawing ... but its something that I try to do. First as a writer's aid (how long would it take someone to go from x to y? if there was a river there in chapter 4, shouldn't that same river be there in chapter 12?) but also to help my (eventual) readers.

Admittedly, most of the maps (and by most I mean over 99%) I create remain in my brain and never get to paper, but a few have, and I would like to get more involved with cartography .... The examples that I've seen here have already blown my mind ... but I have just downloaded GIMP and hope to teach myself how to use that to some success!

I have a few sketches that I may or may not scan and share!

Anyway, I am already looking forwarding to getting to grips with the tutorials and advice that's here already!

Dom

Welcome to the guild, Dom.

I hope you have the success you want and a lot of fun with starting to draw maps.
    I think you've come to the best place to get valuable advice and creative input for it.
    For me it was like that a few months ago - and still is.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks, Freehand!

LOL I've spent the afternoon looking and ... wow. I have very much to learn!

I like your Erbsburg maps, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMurray View Post
    I like your Erbsburg maps, btw.
    Thanks a lot.