Thread: photoshop brushes of interior art

Help photoshop brushes of interior art

Hi ! I'm looking for brushes of interior art (a bit like those featured in maps like this), especially doors, windows, stairs, chests, cabinets, beds...

Does anybody have pointers or me ? Or good alternatives (that can be used easily and swiftly to make quick maps) ?

Thanks ! I've found things for overland or city maps, but not for building maps ...
    Last edited by mystic badger; 02-09-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Well, personally, I shamelessly use the amazing art available at dundjinni.com. Some of their stuff truly is exceptional (you can find my finished maps here if you are curious to see some items in context).

Alternatively, I suppose that you could take a nicely detailed picture showing the symbols that you want and lift them from it and save them as your own brush. I am pretty sure Gimp allows you to do so, although I have only done it once a long time ago, so my memorw may not be accurate, and I'd expect Photoshop to be no different if that's what you use.

How do you do to import those objts in your project ? It seems tedious to search and open the files... Do you have any tips to make it faster and without spending half an hour to find what you need ?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

For brushes, you can save them as such. If you save them in the correct folder, the next time you'll restart Gimp they will be there ready for you to select.

For the furniture I use I actually do just what you said.
    I did organize my folders (like Furniture > Beds and sittings > Beds ) so it only takes a few second to get to the right folder... I also add shortcuts so that the same object can be present in all the folder that would make sense (an alchemist table would be present under "table"; "Magic" or the "Alchemist" section of "shops and workshops". But apart from that, I have no trick.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try to create a few brushes, and (the most difficult) to be organized when I find interesting symbols.

I'v found this : Adventure Map Key Brushes by *JPHazen on deviantART
    Not exactly what I wanted, but it's a beginning...

If you think you're going to use the same objects frequently, make an image that has all of them laid out on a transparent background in some kind of order that makes sense to you. Keep that image open off to one side while you work, and use the Clone Stamp tool to copy the object you want into your working document. If you always work at the same scale, you won't even have to worry about resizing.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Nice tip, I'll give it a try. I've found a table with symbols I need (in the dungeon master's guide 3.5), I'll keep it with my dungeons.
    Last edited by mystic badger; 02-11-2013 at 03:04 AM.