Thread: Emanon

Post Emanon

Hello,
    I am new to mapping, in fact i have never mapped . However I recently started GMing a Rifts campaign and I have found a need for maps. Firstly, I have some...ahem programs (CC3, DD3, City Designer Pro) that help me cheat a bit, although I am still learning my way around those. Basically I will learn as I go with the cities, it is the larger maps I require some help with. Rifts earth is set in a time when Atlantis has risen (or rather phased back from a dimensional pocket) and mankind's influence on earth has fallen significantly. To explain more would to long however in mapping terms we are dealing with a rise in water levels (ice caps the same though) and a return to wilderness. My project for mapping rifts earth will have 3 stages.

Stage 1 Base map: There are many maps in the books that provide a general idea for the new coastlines, Atlantis placement etc. I wish to use these to piece together an outline map. Once satisfied with the outline map, I want to insert mountains, plains, forests tundra etc etc. The end result would hopefully be a visually appealing map of rifts earth devoid of any political markings (devoid of all text etc etc).

Stage 2 Google API: I plan to use the map as a background on Google API. This step would include Layering continent/country names, adding optional territorial layers and adding markers for major cities.
    Stage 3 Community: Rifts has a large community with many people who would jump on board when they saw progress, probably mid-stage 1, many of them wouldn't have time to do the mapping but could help in other ways. Every marker would link to a page with a description of it, the community could accomplish this in a timely manner and proceed with greater details such as trade routes, minor cities and towns, ley lines and in-depth faqs about Rifts Earth.

As I go, I will e-mail Palladium updates and try to get them on board to officially support a Rifts Earth interactive atlas. Any advice and/or help would be very much appreciated as I suspect this is a tad over my head .

Thank you for your time,

Emanon
    Last edited by Emanon; 06-10-2008 at 12:15 AM.

Welcome to the guild Emanon! Start posting your example maps (as attachments in high res!) so we can see your progress. Also, check out the tutorial section as there may be something for CC3 that can help you out, and I know there are at least a very few active members here who use CC3 to do their maps.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah help would be good. Especially setting the coastline and the whole making it look good part. I really really struggle with mapping... I like to call my self artistically challenged.

Welcome Emanon!

Sounds like a cool project your taking up. Send me a message, I might be able to help you with some of the CC3 stuff if you have any questions. I hope to see some of your work soon.

Welcome aboard. I consider myself quite fluent with the Profantasy Suite of programs. Give a shout out if you have any questions.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave