Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February 2013 Entry: DarkWater

For you users of image editors like Photoshop or GiMP, you guys are used to the huge memory requirements and delays of processing, and I can understand your needs for more powerful platforms. I feel I am spoiled using vector applications, like mine program of choice, Xara Xtreme Pro 4 (Xara Designer 6 is current). Vector applications don't require the massive memory requirements for graphics processing. When I apply any process while working with vector graphics the results are almost instantaneous - to the point that when I use any image editor (usually Photoshop) I am constantly derailed from my normal process having to wait for the file to update as I apply any technique. When I create a huge map with lots of layers, the file measures less than 20 MB, even for map dimensions such as 36" x 60". When I export that to an image format, the file can get huge - hundreds of MBs in size.

Another image editing weakness (IMO) is the requirement to set the pixel resolution up front, as you are defining the dimensions of your file. In vector apps like Xara, I determine real world map size, such as 24" x 36" with no consideration of pixel dimension - that only occurs at file export. Any map I design, I can export to 300 ppi resolution at true scale, or reduce an image for letter size PDF format, at 96 dpi. I expect instant results while working on the map. Any post design alterations of the image file can get huge and take time to process. While still in vector format, map creation is fast and fairly low intensity to your computer processing.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-27-2013 at 12:56 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yup there is no doubt that vector programmes are really great on many levels. I used Vectorworks (mac) for years for work, but I hated it (because it was for work). I would consider going back to vector programmes now if I can find a good free one that works with both mac and PC, but despite the horrible memory usage gimp does pretty much everything I want and suits my painterly not-very-exact style.

I export into jpg, I currently use max quality though
    Do this: export you next map at 100% quality jpg. Then export it again at 85% quality jpg. Upload them both here, noting the file size (the 100% will be almost double the 85%), without telling us which is which. I bet no-one will be able to tell.

Guild Artisan

Worked on some shadow issues last night, and towers this morning (tower roofs were snagged from the Dundjinni forum(hope I spelled that right, you would think I would know as I frequent there). Will post a little later with a deep red veruss brown, didnt like the red at first shot, but feel the brown is not so good. Still have swinging bridge, and redo my barrel bridge, and maybe a little time on the larger spikes on the tower. oh and trap doors in the towers i think

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldPaper DarkWater20.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	52536
    Last edited by Kier; 02-28-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Guild Artisan

Alright, posting with red roof option. I can't decide which at this point, will leave them up and think through out the day on it.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	OldPaper DarkWater21.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.73 MB 
ID:	52540
    Last edited by Kier; 02-28-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Your last attachment is an invalid link. Nice roofs by the way

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Your last attachment is an invalid link. Nice roofs by the way
    Thanks, I snagged them from the dundjinni forum. I didnt have time to make my own there. I wanted something with more a cedar shingle and maybe board up the holes showing a rush repair.

Guild Artisan

Alright the 28th - Its done!

Well sort of, lol. If it works I might try for my swinging bridge connecting some of the four front towers, and possibly a boat.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	OldPaper DarkWater23.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	52558

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123