Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2013 Entry: DarkWater

Guild Artisan

Default February 2013 Entry: DarkWater

Well, I was really not going to do this month's challenge only on the account that I did the exact thing last month's challenge, BUT, DarkWater hit me and I knew I had to. Big question this time, is will I get it done. I have a ton of details all of which I think will have to be custom created for it and I am still such a newbie at mapping and digital art, that everything takes forever as I attempt to learn.

But 1st things first. The paper. First attempt at making paper. I am going for a older, rougher linen, recycled paper look. You know that mushed up recycled paper you made in school, but more refined with the linen lines added. Actually fairly pleased for 1st attempt, need to darken edges a little but not much, but will hold off until I add border, and really border is the only part that will show any of the paper beneath when all is said and done.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DarkWater.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	52031
    Last edited by Kier; 02-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Guild Artisan

Next Step the Water.

Not quite sold 100% on it but its fairly close to what I was thinking. Still have not decided on the edge of the water part, probably cut and fade and bleed it in some how so it isnt so jarring, but that really depends upon the border which isnt far behind, except that I am tied up most of the day, and havent really decided completely on the border as of yet. That and the map itself. I really want the entire walled city in the picture, but makes it so small, and I will lose the details that tell the story, so I dont know, maybe 1/2 of it. We'll see.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	OldPaper DarkWater1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	52079

Guild Artisan

Been a long week already. Worked a little on border though, not sure I like the complete roughness of the 2 border lines, doesnt quite match the font I have chosen for the Title, so I might tighten them up a little and smooth them out, or maybe just the outer one. Kind of thinking I want a polished edge to border, but not quite the map, so is alwasy tough where to fade the line in so to speak.

Maybe I should just call it here, and say the city is submerged. Would that work?

In truth, city is mapped just have yet to decide the scale and drop it in, might have to wait for the writing so I can see how it lays out. Still got a ton of details but think once I break that "dropping the city in" it will flow quickly.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	OldPaper DarkWater3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	52217

You could roughen up the letters instead of smoothing the borders. I'm thinking one of those "make coastlines realistic" tutorials in the tutorial section might work for that. Just another idea.

I imagine you haven't got a lot of feedback yet because everyone is waiting to see some map. What you have looks interesting but I think until some map action takes place most folks hereabouts will hold their tongue.

Bring it on!!!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    You could roughen up the letters instead of smoothing the borders. I'm thinking one of those "make coastlines realistic" tutorials in the tutorial section might work for that. Just another idea.

I imagine you haven't got a lot of feedback yet because everyone is waiting to see some map. What you have looks interesting but I think until some map action takes place most folks hereabouts will hold their tongue.

Bring it on!!!
    lol, I am hoping to bring it. I just don't know if it will make this challenge or not. So many from scratch items, I am getting bogged down I think. And last week was an absolute waste. So fried from work I just sat there and stared at my map. Then got tired of that and cleaned up my computer deleting files and backing up. But on bright side GIMP hasnt locked up on me on 2 days.

Hehe, you sound like me. I think, hey, I'm going to sit down and crank something out on this project and then I gaze glasseyed at the screen for 10 minutes, catching up on emails. I then pop up my image to work on and find that I'm about ready to dribble out of my seat with exhaustion. So, off I go to lay down.

I hate it when that happens.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Artisan

From the Ashes of Defeat, well, I will probably still be defeated, lol. Stiff competition as usual her. But I managed to get a couple hours in.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	DarkWater1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	52468

Still have a lot to do, all the details that will bring the post-apocalyptic theme alive, can that even be? Post-apocalyptic in a fantasy setting?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks interesting but waves looks rather some lightnings so it's not obvious to see an underwater map for now :/

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Looks interesting but waves looks rather some lightnings so it's not obvious to see an underwater map for now :/
    But Dude, that was my ode to Metallica

Another attempt at the water and the torch lights. Very hard to get the light of the torch cutting through a foggy night. Looked down and found I was working with a 1.3Gig file in GIMP, lol. I hope it doesn't crash.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	OldPaper DarkWater10.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	52473

I notice I got some cleaning around the edges and at least 1 typo in the journal entry. Off to build some spike barricades, Damn Zombies are a pesky bunch.
    Last edited by Kier; 02-24-2013 at 08:12 PM.

Guild Artisan

Alright, no new update here regarding photo, although I ran a trial run on the spike barricades, and they look promising. Also got some new ideas for swinging bridges to cover the spans where the walls went under or got broken through. And of course I still have to put up tents on the wall, run-down towers, a fishing boat, floating garden and the city itself, representing the last remnants of the human race.

Damn, its going to be close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast