Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arsala - Redesign of my campaign world (AKA...OMG Arcana is mapping again???)

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip Arsala - Redesign of my campaign world (AKA...OMG Arcana is mapping again???)

Believe it or not, I'm mapping again...*GASP*

I've started with FT to develop a world, and I followed Waldronates tutorial, and it was quite helpful...I'm really liking the terraforming thus far.

I have yet to go through and add lakes and deserts...but its coming...I'm working with my buddy Hoseman to figure out currents and airflow...

I'll be posting a bit more as this project grows...

If anyone sees any glaring problems, let me know.

The world is only 15433 miles in circumference
    Highest Peak is 19036 feet

I'll be naming the continents and oceans tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arsala_wagner.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	444.2 KB 
ID:	4236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arsala_equirectangular.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	382.8 KB 
ID:	4237  
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

Been working on flows and stuff...still not done with that to the point of getting deserts and whatnot in...but I did do a little naming, and I also whittled down a campaign starting area. Here's some screenies.

I'm thinking of going through HandsomeRobs atlas process to create some utility maps for me. The artistic in-game stuff will come later.

Name:	arsala_names.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	895.3 KB 
ID:	4275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aurellia_imageclimate.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	643.8 KB 
ID:	4276  

Looking very good! My first reaction is man this planet has a lot of really huge rivers! Considering the magnification we are looking at those rivers would all be Mississippi/Amazon/Nile sized. I suppose river travel is going to be a heavily used method of getting around.

I like that starting area you have selected. It reminds me of Japan/China and has that nice river area for development.

The planet as a whole has a lot of character. It will be cool to see it develop.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Looking very good! My first reaction is man this planet has a lot of really huge rivers! Considering the magnification we are looking at those rivers would all be Mississippi/Amazon/Nile sized. I suppose river travel is going to be a heavily used method of getting around.
    RiverWorld. Costner's booked, so we got Billy Bob Thornton to play the lead...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Yeah it is very water heavy...given that its a smaller planet it actually has a higher temperature average as well and is generally wetter...Think I should tone it down a little though?

Tough call. I think the idea of a very wet heavily rivered world has some pretty neat campaign ideas. Travel would actually be pretty quick I would think and tie various civilizations together easily. In fact, given the proximity of the coasts I could easily see heavy naval armadas as being more like river and coastal ships than seafaring vessels. It would build a really interesting history I think. If one civilization was able to build sturdy river vessels that could easily go upstream like paddle wheels they would have a serious advantage over the other civs. Yup. Lots of cool ideas come just from the over view map.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Blog Entries

Yay! I'll leave it for now...working on the air currents and water currents, it looks like there's going to be very little in the way of desert land.

The clear rivers are an advantage if you consider them a route of travel.

I like the world a lot. Makes me itch to try it myself in FT.

Sigurd

Blog Entries

Ehhh...so after working up current and air flows with Hoseman, I've decided on a few deserts...Thsi of course dries my world out a little, and I decided to shorten up the river calculations...its still a wet world, but not insanely wet as before.

I'm posting here the updated world map which is a combination of "layers" exported from FT into photoshop for later editing, and the local area of my campaign. Just an FYI...the Valoria Mts. are going to be the equivalent of the Cairngorm peaks in H1 Keep on the Shadowfell, which is how I'm going to start my 4E game...I figured a module out the door would give me more time to plan and learn the new rules for sure.

The art phase is coming btw

Name:	arsala_nearfinal.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	680.1 KB 
ID:	4312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aurellia_area.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	825.9 KB 
ID:	4313  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast