Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [WIP] Melandis, a pavement desert city

Blog Entries

Been a while since I commented on this, and I see you've made some progress. It looks good, but I don't think it accomplishes what you want it too. If I remember correctly, you were going for a huge city, then scaled it down again. If you want a big city, I'd suggest giving it a packed look. More like all slums. Maybe add in more special buildings (I know you have temples already, but...) and a key to the side telling us all what they are. I think the best maps sorta give you a tour of the land, and the more engaging & detailed, the better.

That said, I couldn't of made this. Quite impressive so far, and I don't want to give you the impression that there's a lot of stuff to fix. A lot of work ahead maybe, but it's looking good already.

-Foremost.

Guild Journeyer

Thank you for your comment

I've progressed just a bit since the last image posted... lack of time, alas.

I was wondering if giving houses a "pack look" would be a good idea or not... maybe I could have make that choice, but now it is a bit late as I don't want to spent too much time on that map (I guess this will be my only map for the next five thousand years...).

About the key, yes, this will be clearer with it. I think I'll add it when the map will be finished.

Thank you again !

Guild Journeyer

So, I decided to - at least - try to finish that map, years and years after the beginning.

I spent a long time remembering how I made those houses and those roads and... well, it took me some time, but I managed to find approximatively how I did it before, and started "building" more houses. I put on some other colours for the new roofs I made, since I think even if there were less variations in architectural styles in medieval times, there had to be because all houses couldn't be built at the same period. Am I wrong ?

Anyway, I'm thinking about how I will figure out the cemetary (in the south east zone of the city). I guess I shall not draw each tomb individually so if you have suggestions for this, I would greatly appreciate !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	melandistravail15.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.03 MB 
ID:	91770

Guild Journeyer

Some progress today...

I think I'll have to re-do all those houses. As I couldn't find back the settings I used before, the gap is too big between the "old" and the "new" houses and... it's not satisfying to me. Thanks to the magic of the layers, it won't take too much time, fortunately

I changed the desert pattern with two layers filled with two different patterns that I multiplied. I don't know if this is better or worse than before ; just different.

Any suggestion, criticism... welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	melandistravail16.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.34 MB 
ID:	91856

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345