Heh, after reading some of the other introductions, I feel a little out of place. Most people in the intros are either trying to just begin to know maps, or have been mapping for years and just discovered this place. I suppose I could fit in the second category, though I would never have considered myself part of it.

My reasons for joining are much more pragmatic. A guy by the moniker of Treslo Kresha over on the DNDOG forums pointed me over here. I've been looking through the tutorials for a few days now, and found that I kept getting frustrated when the links and attachments blocked me for not being registered. So I registered. Don't know how much I'm planning on posting, though...

So why the interest? Well, I've always been interested in maps (I used to say that you could tell if a book was good by whether or not it had a map in the front), and I'm learning to procedurally create maps in Gimp, from world-size to city-size. I find that I can occasionally figure things out on my own, but it really helps to have the immense amount of aid that is offered on these forums.

I've created a few larger-scale maps, but I'm kind of stumped when I get to cities. Here's my current map:

The cities are the white blobs. Any pointers?