Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initiating Procedure...

Post Initiating Procedure...

Heh, after reading some of the other introductions, I feel a little out of place. Most people in the intros are either trying to just begin to know maps, or have been mapping for years and just discovered this place. I suppose I could fit in the second category, though I would never have considered myself part of it.

My reasons for joining are much more pragmatic. A guy by the moniker of Treslo Kresha over on the DNDOG forums pointed me over here. I've been looking through the tutorials for a few days now, and found that I kept getting frustrated when the links and attachments blocked me for not being registered. So I registered. Don't know how much I'm planning on posting, though...

So why the interest? Well, I've always been interested in maps (I used to say that you could tell if a book was good by whether or not it had a map in the front), and I'm learning to procedurally create maps in Gimp, from world-size to city-size. I find that I can occasionally figure things out on my own, but it really helps to have the immense amount of aid that is offered on these forums.

I've created a few larger-scale maps, but I'm kind of stumped when I get to cities. Here's my current map:

The cities are the white blobs. Any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by EhudbenGera View Post
    Heh, after reading some of the other introductions, I feel a little out of place. Most people in the intros are either trying to just begin to know maps, or have been mapping for years and just discovered this place. I suppose I could fit in the second category, though I would never have considered myself part of it.

My reasons for joining are much more pragmatic. A guy by the moniker of Treslo Kresha over on the DNDOG forums pointed me over here. I've been looking through the tutorials for a few days now, and found that I kept getting frustrated when the links and attachments blocked me for not being registered. So I registered. Don't know how much I'm planning on posting, though...

So why the interest? Well, I've always been interested in maps (I used to say that you could tell if a book was good by whether or not it had a map in the front), and I'm learning to procedurally create maps in Gimp, from world-size to city-size. I find that I can occasionally figure things out on my own, but it really helps to have the immense amount of aid that is offered on these forums.

I've created a few larger-scale maps, but I'm kind of stumped when I get to cities. Here's my current map:

The cities are the white blobs. Any pointers?
    Welcome to the guild EhudbenGera. Unfortunately, the map is too small to really get any detail out of as far was being able to provide pointers, at least for me. In case you did not know, you can upload up to a 3-4 MB jpg file which can get you a fairly high resolution. The process is to use the Advanced editing feature and then use Manage Attachments link to upload the image to the site. The site will even make a smaller size thumbnail and link to the full size image for your automagically.

Joe

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome aboard, lots of Gimp users here to help you out. Look around and feel free to ask.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Welcome to the guild EhudbenGera. Unfortunately, the map is too small to really get any detail out of as far was being able to provide pointers, at least for me. In case you did not know, you can upload up to a 3-4 MB jpg file which can get you a fairly high resolution. The process is to use the Advanced editing feature and then use Manage Attachments link to upload the image to the site. The site will even make a smaller size thumbnail and link to the full size image for your automagically.

Joe

Joe
    Thanks for the welcome! Hmm, I had thought that the pic was also a link... So here's the link, as well:
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1674/anideadx6.jpg
    Last edited by EhudbenGera; 06-10-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EhudbenGera View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Hmm, I had thought that the pic was also a link... So here's the link, as well:
    http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1...ideadx6.th.jpg
    Yep, but even the linked picture is reeeeally teeny tiny. Like maybe 150 x 150 px or so..

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Correct link is http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1674/anideadx6.jpg (drop the .th.)

OK. Fixing the link led me to see the rivers.....

They are all backward. Rivers merge as they flow down hill. They never (still waiting for a real world example) split and flow off in different directions. When they do split because of an obstruction, the rejoin as soon as the terrain lets them.

Since this is your first River Violation(tm) I won't be handing out a ticket... but I'm watching you...

[second Edit:] Looked again... maybe they aren't all backwards? If so, they seem to dead-end....

-Rob A>

That map style doesn't show rivers going through forests is all. Otherwise it looks like a fairly standard river network flowing out of a large lake on the right to a delta at the top left.

So am I still guilty of a River Violation (tm)?

And thanks for the link help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast