Thread: Ankh Morkpork on the iPad. So real you can (almost) smell it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default Ankh Morkpork on the iPad. So real you can (almost) smell it.

Today Random House released an iPad app that allows you to explore the entirety of Ankh Morpork in both an isometric and top down views, with searchable locations, sound effects, information on all the hot spots and even strolling people. Check out the video (from the Guardian) and their review: Discworld: The Ankh-Morpork Map for iPad - review | Books | guardian.co.uk

I'm downloading it now - it looks fantastic. I've spent a lot of time in Ankh Morpork with my head in a book. I'm so excited to see this arrive on the iPad. Also, this is an amazing example of an interactive iPad map. I'm looking at this and looking at my own city maps and thinking hmmmmm.

The app is £9.99 on the UK store, or $13.99 on the US store.

torstan this is pretty awesome, keep us posted on how it works behind the scenes if you find out!!

I can't see the video but wish I could. This sounds cool. I don't know anything about Discworld (I know, gasp!) but I'd certainly like to do something similar with a couple of maps. I've been thinking of trying to do Haibianr in 3D and building a simple 3D viewer to run it.
    M

Blog Entries

Heh very good tho im not so sure id want it so real I could smell it.....

The app seemed to be struggling with the pinch gesture tho and I was disappointed there were no pics of any orang-utans at the unseen university or people walking on the rivers... tsk !

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The app runs perfectly smoothly on a 2nd Gen iPad. They must have been using a 1st Gen in the video.

I can confirm no Orangutans in the UU or anyone on the river