Thread: Preferred Image Size / Format?

Guild Journeyer

Question Preferred Image Size / Format?

Is there a preferred image format for map uploads, and / or a size limit on images?

I have noticed my very large images do not show up clearly in the album view. I'm working with 150 dpi on something that is 20 inches wide. I also want to know the answer to this too. When I joined the site I thought their was a limit on the size of my album, but I'm not sure what limits or factors go into this site. I know very large up to 5,000 by 4,000 displays grainy. Maybe my screen is too small or the site doesn't render it right. I scan at Kinko's, so I get very good and sharp scans of my work.

A Community Leader might be better to provide and answer, but yes, the forum has a maximum size for image uploads. In fact each file type has different limitations. JPG images can be 4000 pixels wide to a maximum of 4.5 MB (I'm not exactly sure, but that's a close guess). My recommendation is set to 96 ppi for any uploads larger than 8 inches wide. A good resolution for printing is not the same as a good resolution for viewing online. 96 ppi looks fine online, though is poor for a print.

Maps I intend to print is never less than 300 ppi. Of course, I run Gamer Printshop, and have access to large format and high resolution scanners, large format B/W copier/printer, 12" x 18" color laser printer, and 1440 ppi large format inkjet printer up to 44" wide. I also have large format laminators, cutters and other equipment to make map-making a breeze. So using Kinko's would be a downgrade from what I can do now.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

As far as I know, maximum upload size is 4,7 MB.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    As far as I know, maximum upload size is 4,7 MB.
    There is also a logical pixel limit tied to memory use. The forum software generates thumbnails, and to do this needs to unpack the image into memory. So a 20,000 x 20,000 solid black png image would be much smaller than the 4.7MB size limit, but would most likely cause the server to run out of memory when trying to process it, and crap out on the upload.

-Rob A>