Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Land with no name..

Wip Land with no name..

Hi all,

I´d like to post my current progress as I fell that I´ve finaly nailed style and shape of my main continent map. From here on it´s fiddling with details and adding them. Next up are the rivers, i think I´ll give it 20 minutes Any CC welcome. Thanks to Ramah for border inspiration. Map is ca. a quarter of original size.

Once I wanted to name this world Tarnath, googling this name showed me the name is taken already. So I´ll look for a new one. No harm done because it´s a place I walk by myself up to this point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World-of-Tarnath-8-small.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	457.1 KB 
ID:	52106

CC for myself -> mountains are much to blurred, working on it...
    Last edited by Troedel; 02-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Blog Entries

This map is actually really interesting-looking. I was gonna mention for you to put in some rivers, but apparently that's next on the list.

At first I thought how the land overlaps the border in the top left corner didn't look to good, but then I reconsidered. Taking a second look, I didn't mind it too much. I await the details - I am looking forward to seeing them.

I love the color of the border. Really simple and frankly awesome. ,The dark blue of the sea is also superb. And pretty much everything else about this map is great...

Awesome work.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

This is really nice. I like the composition, and the mountain style is similar to what I'm working on now. What particular method are you using?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

very nice land-masses with some interesting peninsulas, archipelagos and ithmuses. looking good

Wip

o.k. I made some progress getting the mountains right. I´m working on the rivers but I got no solution at this moment that fits me. Perhaps I will do them the old way by hand and tablet. Thinking of new ways and walking takes much time but is fun So here are the new mountains...

Name:	World-of-Tarnath-10-small.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	52153

This is a pretty neat map, I like how the land is broken-up but connected. You could easily use that for political borders, as well as a generation for conflict (controlling the pass equates to controling trade, etc). Looking more closely, it seems the place is rife with logical political borders, and I'm getting a mental image of a heavily balkanized region - the local tribes, cities, and kingdoms rise and fall without ever spreading more than a few inches across your map (Assuming standard paper size). And then it hits me that the title of the thread could lead to an interesting feature for the area - what if the region (or even the world) actually has no name. It could be something the locals are acutely aware of, and that as a result features heavily in their culture - one way or the other.

Anyway, nice map, looking forward to seeing more!

P.S. I am jealous of your mountains.

Mountains look good... but I believe they could be even better depending upon the method and software used(though the process I am thinking of would take a decent amount of time). I THINK you may already have the right method/software as some of the mountains are really, really good while others are just so so.. almost as if you posted half finished work.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

You mean work in progress... Right now I builded up the heightmap in PS, exported to wilbur and ran a preciption based erosion 50 times, took about 3 hours to compute. The better the build up in PS the better the erosion would be I think. I did some postwork in PS, problem is that by fiddling around it´s pretty easy to destroy the structure built up ( or eroded away ) in Wilbur. Right now I´m in the process of selectivly smothing out some rough patches in the lowlands and thinking about river placement technique as the location is pretty obvious given the landscape. Please tell me about the SoSo Mountains ( I´ve got a name! ) so that I can think of a way to fix up what´s needed. THX for the critic!

I´ve made some progress regarding my rivers. May the police have me ( I think not... )

Name:	World-of-Tarnath-11-small.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	443.4 KB 
ID:	52314

Nothing that I can spot offhand. I like the desert in the middle of the rainshadow - no rivers there. Also, the mountains are excellent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast