Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WiP: The Hinterlands Region

Guild Applicant

Wip WiP: The Hinterlands Region

Greetings!

First off, while I've known about this site for a long time and occasionally came here to admire the pretty pictures, I've just recently started getting into making my own maps and have found the resources and tutorials here indispensable. In short: it's totally awesome.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to making maps beyond a quick sketch here and there, and I have to admit that whatever qualities this map possesses are not through any labor of my own. The mountains, trees, and so forth are all from a set of brushes I downloaded from DeviantArt (and which I'll credit at some point). I have hopes to someday draw my own mountains and things, but at this time, for the game I'm DM'ing, I'm more than happy with this brush set.

There is much to add to the map, some of which I'm not yet aware of because I haven't fully developed the region, but if anyone has any thoughts or critiques, I'd love to hear them. Just ignore the empty space for now. It will be filled in later.

One thing I want to change is the text style of the labels. It doesn't exactly fit the rest of the map, I think, but I haven't yet found a way to make it better. My Gimpabilities are lacking.

Also, do the rivers make sense? I understand rivers can be a source of humor and contention here. (Prematurely ending the one in the lower right was a mistake. I think I'm going to put some mountains there.)

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hinterlands-region-sm1.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	52110  

Regarding the labels, the color is probably the most unlikely thing about them. Were they painted on with Wite-Out? As a starting point, use a color for the text that you've already used elsewhere on the map.

Now, the rivers are almost okay. Assuming that the sea is to the south, you just need to reverse the confluence of the tributary northwest of Badger's Drift. Generally speaking, two rivers will meet in a Y shape, where the vertical part of the Y is pointed downstream. It's not impossible for a confluence to form the way you've shown it here, but it's unlikely and probably would not exist in that configuration very long, particularly on flat land. Erosion will knock out that pointed area, and the water from Badger's Drift will turn to the southwest before joining the larger river.

On the other hand, if the Badger's Drift tributary does drop it's water into the river traveling the "wrong" way, it might make for some interesting rapids in that area. Maybe even a persistent whirlpool.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Assuming it is a fantasy world, white ink can come from the fabled Ghost Squid, if you like the look. It is a good idea to think about how the mapmaker would have done this or that, but you don't need to restrict yourself to historical possibilities if you're not doing a historical map.

Where is the lake by Badger's Drift getting its water? You might want to add some rivers coming down from the mountains to feed the lake.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I concur with Midgardsormr on the labels colors. That white color isn't easily readable on your map and doesn't really fits it. A few other comments:
    - I'd work more on the roads : for now they don't look very good (well they look what they are : some thin lines drawn with mouse) but I'm sure they can be improved!
    - You have some trees that overlap the river up to tradesford
    - Empty spaces is not a bad thing on a map but it would be cool to see the whole map, not only the cropped area
    Good luck with it

Guild Applicant

Thank you for your responses. It's funny that I never really thought of the map as an object within that world (and it is a fantasy game world that I'm slowly developing). But, I think I should treat it as that.

In light of that, the labels look even more off (ghost squids were eradicated years ago). I saw some maps recently that had labels I'd like emulate, and it turns out that one of them was Max's: Lorn final. That's something I'll work on, as well as choosing a different typeface.

Regarding the lake near Badger's Drift, it appears my knowledge of the workings of waterways is faulty (nonexistant?). I thought the lake was being fed by a tributary of the main river, but by multiple responses, that seems not the case. It makes sense, now that you say it, Midgardsormr, that erosion would wipe out that pointed area.

Regarding the roads... I thought I had hidden that layer. They do look bad.

Thanks again.

It's a common mistake to think that rivers fork. We see that shape all the time, after all. But what they're really doing is joining together, not splitting apart. A river might fork temporarily during a flood, but it will very quickly choose one channel or the other, usually within a matter of hours. The same goes for lakes: one outflow only, although they can have any number of sources. If you do a search for "How to get your rivers in the right place" and/or "Essential river guidelines for mapping," you'll get more information on the topic than you could ever have wanted.

I actually kind of like the typeface, although it's crude in comparison to the obviously skillful draughtsmanship of the map's symbols.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Look this, almost tmilktoast's lake Its a region with a lots of lake with "no-where to go" i keep in mind something like this place.

57.043485, -112.912416

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sem título.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	52164
    Last edited by aquarits; 02-13-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmilktoast View Post

In light of that, the labels look even more off (ghost squids were eradicated years ago). I saw some maps recently that had labels I'd like emulate, and it turns out that one of them was Max's: Lorn final. That's something I'll work on, as well as choosing a different typeface.
    Sounds like a good reference

Guild Applicant

That's some good information Midgardsormr. I have to confess that I knew of that thread / document about rivers, but I haven't taken the time to read through it. That's something I should do.

Aquaritis, even though that wasn't the point of your post, I have thought of making my rivers more windy like that. I was recently getting directions on Google Maps and noted how squiggly, wiggly, and contorted a lot of real rivers are. Mine are kind of boring in contrast. But, clearly the elevation (and rockiness?) of the land has something to with that. I'll read more about river placement before I get too crazy.

Max, it definitely is.

I'm going to be occupied with work and family matters, but I hope to update my map within in a few days.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by tmilktoast; 02-14-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmilktoast View Post
    But, clearly the elevation (and rockiness?) of the land has something to with that.
    Exactly.... really, it's the elevation. Just like any liquid, it will always flow toward the lowest point. This is why higher elevations tend to be somewhat straight(ish) watercourses, while flatlands tend make more meandering watercourses. Rockiness does not matter in the short term for slow moving rivers, but if water is flowing equally over an area with hard soil/rock and soft soil(ie, exact same height and slope), eventually erosion will shift the current toward the softer soil and the harder will be above the water line. Simple physics at work here.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast