Thread: February 2013 entry: Sunken Treasure, Lost Undersea Archive

Default February 2013 entry: Sunken Treasure, Lost Undersea Archive

This is my first time participating in one of these challenges. Coincidentally, I was planning to make a map within the very specifications of this mapping challenge. This map will also be used for my RPG campaign, so I figured why not enter it into the challenge. The basis for this map is a lost undersea lab that served as a small research station. the lab is partially intact, but some of of the dome structure is shattered, and the entirety of the lab is now flooded. The lab has been lost for nearly 900+ years, and in my campaign world the player characters have just (re-)discovered it. The research lab has a dormant AI that they would like to awaken. Oh yeah, one more thing, the lab is also magical. It was created in a magictech environment from the distant past, so it has weird technologies involved with it and some which are still functional.

Here is the sketch with my initial ideas for the lab. Pen and paper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	52114

Here, is the inking of it done in Photoshop with a calligraphic brush.

Name:	Underwater-Treasure_02.jpg 
Views:	565 
Size:	641.3 KB 
ID:	52115

And finally the current WIP

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Underwater-Treasure_03.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	52116

The coloring, and some of the line work are still heavily in WIP mode. I want to make some changes to the color palette. I plan to use saturated colors at first and then desaturate them a bit and overlay a blue color on top with some wavy texture to make it look underwater.

We'll see how it works out.

V

Guild Artisan

Coming along nicely. Great to see the steps from concept sketch on.

I figured I had start getting to work on this map, if I am going to finish by the end date. This is two firsts for me: 1) I have never done and undersea/water map. 2) This is is my first challenge map. So far this is what I currently have:

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Underwater-Treasure_05.jpg 
Views:	816 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	52382

I want it kinda dark and murky, but have the golds, and silvery glass textures stand out from the murkiness. I also need to add a light as if coming from a distant submarine or some sort of diving vessel not shown on the map.

Thanks to torstan's very helpful thread--
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ps-tricks.html
    --great tips and tricks there.

Here is what I got to finish this challenge. I wish I had more time since there is a lot more that I could do here. But I got to focus on my dissertation right now, so that means maps take a back seat for a bit.

I decided the best way to go with this map was to make it sort of a cartoon-like scene viewed from a sub's porthole looking down on the sea floor. I decided not to add text directly to the map, but just leave some text on the brass of the porthole instead.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Underwater-Treasure_07.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	52547

This is my first challenge. It was quite fun.

Now back to dissertating.

Veracusse