Thread: Hand Drawn Map - My First Attempt at Map Making

Map Hand Drawn Map - My First Attempt at Map Making

Map 001 - Imgur

This is my first attempt at making a map and any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated! I used gimp to create the outlines then printed out a hard copy and just sketched in the details by hand with a mechanical pencil. I made it for for use in a DnD campaign I'm DMing (but honestly, I'd do this all over again just for the fun of it). The photos were taken with a webcam, so bear with me. I'll probably try to get high res scan of it soon, but for now this is what I've got. ALSO, please advert your eyes from my nasty ass fingernails. I bite them compulsively c: woops.

Blog Entries

As you mentioned, a scan would make your maps easier to view (and unless you stuck your hand in the scanner, would get rid of those fingernails...). Nevertheless there is something I find about a hand-draw map that makes it "superior" to any computer map. I just like it more, I guess. COmputer maps are so complicated and foreign to me In short - nice to see a hand-drawn map on here, cause that's what I will be uploading!

Good job, and if you have the opportunity to scan this in, notify me (is there some way to do that on this site?).
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Looks pretty good to me...very like the big LotR map. If you do get it scanned we'd love to see it in all of its glory. Details are a bit hard to make out in the photos.

And...welcome to the Guild! Have some rep for giving us a map to look at right off!
    M

Foremost - I've added you as a contact so that it's easy for me to navigate to your profile. When I post a high-res version of the map I'll let you know! Thanks for the positive feedback!

Mearrin69 - Thanks for the warm welcome! I agree that it's difficult to make out the details. Hopefully when I scan the map you'll be able to see all the light writing that's difficult to see!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Master Rahl372's Avatar

It's somewhat difficult for me to say also since it's dark. However what I can see looks really detailed, and as some one who only does hand drawn maps I can appreciate the skill it takes to draw great maps.
    If you don't have a scanner try a quality digital camera. I use a 16 megapixel camera for all of my stuff. If you don't have one might as well get a scanner that way everyone can admire your work better!

I do believe I see Australia in there.

Guild Novice

As mentioned before, there is something about hand drawing a map that is visually appealing to me as well. As a fellow hand, pencil, and paper user, I approve. Ive drawn over 100 maps on 8.5"/11" pieces of paper. On good days I'm able to string about 3-4 maps fully labeled.

I have scanned in most of my maps to my computer and one thing I've noticed is some of the pencil strokes are lighter than others which end up not showing on the final scan, just a heads up!

Your maps look very good though and keep up the good work!

If you're going to spend that kind of time creating hand-drawn maps, it's in your favor to get yourself a flatbed scanner, and not rely on low res digital camera images. I prefer hand-drawing as part of my map design toolset as well. I will admit to drawing on 8.5 x 11 sheets for elements of a map - the ship, seaweed, fish in my challenge map were done on letter size pieces, though I generally draw maps onto 18" x 24" or 24" x 36" sheets, and rarely to sizes larger than that. My commissioned map of the City of Kasai for Paizo's Jade Regent Adventure Path was drawn on a 36" x 54" sheet. Of course I use a large format scanner from my digital print/graphic design studio, which gives me an edge with large format work.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just enabling flash on the camera would've probably helped. The map itself seems nice, so it's too bad so much got lost in the dark.