Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb Entry: Brigatines Rest

Looking good! It's an interesting concept and I like it a lot.

Only suggestion is to maybe shift the part of the ship protruding from the sand a little toward blue so we understand that it's below water. I like how you've done your cutaway setup but it wants to trick my eye into thinking that the light blue ocean floor is actually the top of the water and that the front of the ship is sticking out. Knocking it back under water visually might help that?
    M

I've had the same thought, good suggestion! Although the lower part is beneath the sand, so I won't 'blue' that... And I will get to that at the tweaking stage at the end. I've created a single mast with torn sails added to this version - the other masts and sails have been cut off past the cross-section. Next sea life...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cross-section-mast.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	52208
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Artisan

Great colors.

Thanks, Kier - it's kind of a water color palatte.

For Mearrin69's sake, I included a partially exposed skeleton of the pirate captain trying to retrieve his sword before drowning and burying in the silt, as part of the cut-away view.

Sealife done. Note the cool, giant octopus in the cave.

Edit: I see some of the plants and sea life are beneath the main drawing layer, so I need to fix that, but do in the next update...

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	cross-section-sealife.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	52215
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-13-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

The art portion of the map is complete. I added some birds (looks like pelicans), and an English style manor house on the hill.

Tomorrow I'll do any labeling, borders, maybe a storybox with some backstory info, and the legend. Almost done.

GP

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	cross-section-art-final.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	52223
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Pryme8's Avatar

I love the speed off your comp, and the effects of the refracted light from the water!

making me want to make sure I stay on top of mine. as soon as I get done with this move over the next couple days Im back to the grind stone...

I do have one complaint, there seems to be a lack in the representation of space... not sure how you will fix this, but if you can make it seem less flat I know who I am voting for!
    Last edited by Pryme8; 02-14-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme8 View Post
    I love the speed off your comp, and the effects of the refracted light from the water!

making me want to make sure I stay on top of mine. as soon as I get done with this move over the next couple days Im back to the grind stone...

I do have one complaint, there seems to be a lack in the representation of space... not sure how you will fix this, but if you can make it seem less flat I know who I am voting for!
    I'm known as the fastest mapper of the Guild - ask any of the CL's. Although I've spent two days on this so far, really I've only got about 5 hours in it total - which is slow for me. I usually create maps in a matter of 2 or 3 hours. Illustration maps tend to take more time. Although a grid placed on the sea floor might help infer the space that you seem to not comprehend well. I plan to create an inset map of the top down of this same area, adjacent to this illustrative cross-sectional chart, with the legend and story box below it on the final composition. The top down map should alleviate any issues you and Mearrin69 have mentioned. I don't want to place a grid, as the sea floor is busy as it is, and a grid might clutter up the design.
    DrivethruRPG store

Question: if we assume 1 square equals 10 feet, does the placed grid on the seafloor help alleviate the spacial recognition issue?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	cross-section-with-grid.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	52253
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Artisan

Alright now that is sick, I love the map lines, curving with the rolling waves. Very picturesque.

I love the water's surface; it reminds me of Hokusai.

I had a hard time parsing this one, too. I think my expectation of sand adjacent to water meaning "beach" was causing me problems. Once I read a little and realized that it's an elevation, everything snapped into place for me and it made sense. I wonder if perhaps adding some sort of vertical scale might help? I don't care for the grid on the sea floor, and it really didn't aid me at all.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast