Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wandering Star - The Town of Helen's Reach

Map Wandering Star - The Town of Helen's Reach

This is the map of the starting point for the 4E campaign I'll be starting in the next month or so. I used the same techniques as those for the main map, but I'm figuring out little tricks here and there that make things easier and produce more consistent results.

This map benefited mightily from what I learned about using Layer Masks in Gimp2. That didn't change much about the actual map other than making it easier for me to use more colors in the background. It did, however, make it much easier for me to put this map together in a much shorter time frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Helens Reach Finished Map.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	4248  
    Last edited by helium3; 06-10-2008 at 01:36 AM. Reason: realized I had "overfuzzed" the image

Wow! That is cool.

I love the style you have for the map, and the colors you used go great together.

Thanks a bunch!!

After comparing the regional with the town map, I realized I had overfuzzed the town map. So, I fixed that.

It'll look a bit clearer now.

Really nice map, helium3. The colors go well with the bold lines. Also very appealing stylistically.

Guild Journeyer

Very nice...I like your style!

I think that for large cities, mapping the outlines of building blocks is the way to go. How many people live in your city? What's your scale?

Thanks for the compliment. It's a style I've been tinkering with for a couple of months now. What will be interesting is to see how well the style works for dungeon maps.

As for the details, it's more of a town than a city, with a population of somewhere around 3,500. I haven't really put any thought into the scale, so I suppose you could say that it's "scaled to plot."

I put the map together specifically for the 4E D&D game I'll begin running in the next few weeks. In accordance with the dictat handed down by the central committee that all 4E games take place in a "points of light setting," Helen's Reach is a town that was once a city. Thus, it's somewhat larger in size than the population would normally imply. A fair number of those blocks are mostly abandoned I'd reckon.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Beautiful map, and a very distinctive colour scheme. Excellent job.

Lovely style, colors are extraordinary. I want to map like that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast