Thread: Mavereln - A Fantasy Island

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Mavereln - A Fantasy Island

So I am relatively new here and I figured I should give all of you map-crazed members out there something new to feast your eyes upon! The map is drawn entirely with Fine-Tipped Sharpie (normally I am not so bold, since I have a tendency to screw up lines, but I figured the scanner wouldn't pick up pencil well...).

A little background - I sort of drew this one imagining it to be made into a game, and the hatched lines that divide the island up are walls to prevent a player from going to the next zone (black bars are gates). The numbers are the level for the zone. Beaches are the dotted areas, and so on. I am sure each one of you will be able to read it clearly.

--- Use zoom in or out on your browser to look at the map how you want, I found that it zooms in a little too far on the auto-zoom ---

Even though I am posting this as a finished map, and will not be making changes to it, I would really like some feedback to incorporate into my next project! So feel free to comment, critizize, like, rep, or yell at me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mavereln 001.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	52150  
    Last edited by foremost; 02-12-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    The best maps are the ones we like the most after looking at the longest.

Blog Entries

I will be posting another map soon and will link it here.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/fi...ak-castle.html
    Last edited by foremost; 05-09-2013 at 08:14 AM.

I know you made this with a sharpie, but since it's digital now (scanned in), perhaps some colors would make areas stand out for the viewer of the map? In GIMP, I would make a new layer and change the layer mode to multiply. Then you can color on the multiplied layer and the color will blend through to your map. The example is a PNG (the board wouldn't allow me to attach the XCF nor a TIFF).Name:  Example.png
Views: 885
Size:  9.1 KB

Blog Entries

Yeah, I thought about that too. Thanks for your comment. I really am a novice to computer map making, but that sounds fairly straightforward. Perhaps I shall give it a go. Thanks again.

I like the naive touch of this one.

But I think you definitely should pay more attention to typography.
    The letters are on the level of a shopping notice. Write more slowly and disciplined. Write letters with the same style as you draw an icon.

The line art could be more precise. You can get this better by simply working on a larger format.
    If an A3-paper doesn't fit your scanner, scan it in two parts. But do it bigger.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. In paper form, rather than virtual, it looks a little neater. I don't think the scanner helped much. I was thinking of using a computer program to put labels in next time. That might be a good idea.

Blog Entries

With the color thing - I'm going to try to color this one alongside my Bleak Castle map... I have a major project coming up that I'm adding here, but I'll get around to it!