Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It might be something before step 12, is the image above what you have after finishing step 12?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I tried three of your tutorials yesterday... two after I wrote the message above. All of them were continent-type tutorials... under the assumption that I would learn more and understand better. I have learned quite a bit, although clearly not yet enough.

The first thing I learned is: don't start with a large continent as it makes everything that follows harder.

When I get to the point where I know enough to ask an intelligent question, I will ask it. At present I'm not there yet. Thanks for trying to help though.

Blog Entries

Okay, this is step 59. (I'm on vacation by the way) Step 60 is unclear as to what it wants.

Here are the problems I've run into and that are probably quite clear on the map: My mountains are flat, and the color is wrong. Yes, there are a ton of mountains on the continent. Chalk this up to me not realizing just how pronounced they would be by this point. They were pretty modest earlier .

Also, my lake didn't work out right. I wound up having to put the layer above the mountains to keep the mountains from half-burying it.

I didn't make any adjustments in the "adjust 2" layer yet. I am color blind, so that step is arduous to say the least. I usually get my wife's help when an "eye" is needed.

I welcome any comments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutorial Try 5.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	13850

Those mtns are an easy fix...that step confuses a lot of people because there are 2 blend modes - one for the color overlay and one for the layer itself. The color overlay should be a brown set to soft light, the layer itself should be set to hard light. If you need me to, I'll give ya some screen shots to walk ya thru it. Other than that, I'd say you've got it right with everything else.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

So right! The Layer's color overlay was set to normal, but should have been set to soft light. It doesn't just change the color, it changes the apparently elevation and contours of the mountains. Wow. And I thought I had too many mountains before... lol. I have named this continent "Mountania" in honor of the 57 exploratory parties we have dispatched to explore the place, none of whom have ever returned.

You'd have to be from Switzerland to love it.

Thanks for all of your help Ascension. This one is as done as I'm going to make it, unless I get a call for something like it. You'll notice that I did succumb to the temptation of "popping" the rivers and lake, although you'll be hard-pressed to even find the one-pixel rivers (there are two rivers in the north, one in the flats). Please forgive my insolence

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountainiaFlat.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	13856

Very good, you get an A I sorta like that extra-crunchy terrain.

I have made a change, one word, that seems to be tripping folks up. My error was saying "copy" when "duplicate" is what should have been said. I have re-uploaded the doc file on the first post to reflect the change. I would upload a new pdf as well but apparently my OpenOffice doesn't seem to "export to pdf" properly.

For some reason, I cannot open your word file tutorial. I have office 2003, and it keeps asking me for which encoding to use, and no matter what, I get gibberish.

Anyone else having that issue?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

There is a definitely a problem with the file, I couldn't open it either.

In fact MS-Word tried to install a converter for it, but even that came out garbled.

@Ascension - I think you should try uploading it again.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wonderful. I don't have MS Office anymore so I'm using Open Office. It won't convert to pdf and it wont save proper docs anymore either it looks like. Alright, I have a backup location so I'll dl it from there and then reupload it here sometime tonight.

Edit -- I've re-uploaded the doc file, hopefully this one isn't corrupted.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-21-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast