Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd say so far that looks spot on (except for that lil neon green ring in the mid to lower right side). Good job
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I'd say so far that looks spot on (except for that lil neon green ring in the mid to lower right side). Good job

oh lol, thats my brush. I somehow got it in there while i was moving it, so it appeared like that

yay! managed to make my own GIMP continent in GIMP!

oh and I created my own little tutlet to remind me of how I did it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continentfinished.png 
Views:	207 
Size:	744.8 KB 
ID:	5799  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool! You should post your "tutlet" in the tutorials for others to see.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Cool! You should post your "tutlet" in the tutorials for others to see.
    ok sure

it may be a little confusing, cause im not that great at writing, but I tried my hardest to make it good

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Did you use the lighting effects? I could never figure out that plugin...

-Rob A>
    only for the waves on mine, i couldnt figure out how to use it for anything else.

You cant look at my little "tutlet" i made if you want, cause i forget right now how i used it

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Does the base layer still have a black ocean and black lakes on a white land? If it does, you need to get rid of those via an earlier step where you select the black and delete it. Also, when I say to control-click on a layer, I don't mean in the work window, I mean in the layers window/tab/whatchamacallit thingy.

Trying your tutorial out and I'm stuck here as well. I've got base, mountains (hidden), hills (hidden), land. The land is just the cloud texture with the lighting effect and the base layer is black where any water should appear. The land layer peeks through the holes in the base layer.

What's my objective here? To clear all the water pieces away from the land layer? I could color select black on the base layer, click on the land layer and delete anything inside the selection. Is that it?

I should probably add that I'm experimenting with mountainous relief artwork. I'd like to take a look at your (Ascension) technique and then figure out a way of applying the climate colors selectively rather than in a gradient. It might take some blue marble samples and painting textures onto the layer. Thoughts?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Bedwyr -- your base layer should be white with all of the black deleted...this is important for later steps in that you will have to omit every step that says to Select > Inverse. You will also have to add in a step every time it says Select without a Select > Inverse. What you currently have is the white parts deleted.

The point is just as you have guessed...to delete the "water parts" while leaving the "land parts" intact.

As to the mountains, the layer that they are on it set to Hard Light. This darkens or multiplies the darkness of everything below that layer directly underneath the object (in this case mountains). The brown color overlay then takes that darkness and gives it a brown tinge. The color overlay itself is set to soft light (I think) and white enhances the lightness of layers underneath. So what gets affected is the color gradient of the land layer (white to green to tan) resulting in light snowy mountains where it is white (in my example the white is in the north pole), normal mountains where it is green and sandy mountains where it is tan. As far as climate affecting the color of the mountains...(like more arid on the leeward side and more lush on the windward side) that is covered in a later step where we add color tweaks.

If you want to change the colors of the mountains by hand (for instance to make them sort of grayish for granite mountains or reddish for iron mountains) follow these steps as I have done it myself:
    1. Create a new layer above the mountains layer and rename it to "mountain tweaks".
    2. Ctrl-click on the mountains layer (in the layers palette)...this loads the mountains layer as a selection so that you do not paint outside of it.
    3. Grab whatever size airbrush you want and set the flow to whatever you want. I start with 10% and then just keep applying more "paint" until I get the color I want. Choose your color and paint until you're happy. When done remember to deselect. Also, you can change the blend mode of the layer..."screen" will show more white while the darker areas are colored, "multiply" will show more black while the lighter areas are colored, "overlay" is sort of a halfway between screen and multiply, "soft light" is like screen but brightens everything up, "hard light" is like multiply while brightening, etc, etc, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast