Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making a continent in photoshop

It's true about the light direction, but i agree with the previous, my bias is towards a top left lightsource, and with little else to tell me where the sun is, it will look wrong. Nice dark brooding style, I can imagine the dark vile creatures that stalk the land
    Hoel -The beholders eye

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Actually the shelf itself is fine, it's just the areas like the one I highlighted that look funny to me. Heck I may be the only one that see's it that way.

It's probably a matter of how the lighting is perceived (as you mentioned), to me it looks raised rather than sunken, and that's probably just the way I'm used to looking at it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I guess yer right in a way, it's raised up from the ocean floor, but since it's the continental shelf it's still submerged and that's what I was meaning by sunken.

Nonetheless, I've been working on geographic things: escarpment, plateau, river gorge, ridge lines, and a canyon. Here's a screenie. I think the canyon, escarpment, and ridges look pretty good, got some work to do on the plateau and gorge still. Trying to think of other stuff so I can figure out how to do those as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	8878  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You're definitely on the right track with those. I can't really offer any suggestions though, you're PS-Fu is much greater than mine.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey, I gave you props in my WIP thread, but thanks for this tutorial. This is the first time I've made anything in photoshop that I've felt good enough to put in a public forum.

No problem man, it's here to help. Steel General and myself are around every day and other satellite-style mappers are around often enough so that we'll be able to help ya with just about anything you need help with. Glad you liked it
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I'm confused a tad. On step ten, you have us merging a new layer (transparent) with the ocean (difference clouds). The result in the merger with the transparent layer is no change. Did you have a different result in mind?

Nevermind, I found that the threshold tool does everything done in steps 10,11, and 12. I think.

there should be a layer from step 9 that should be filled with 50% gray and the mode set to hard mix (typo in the tut says hard light) and named "base" layer. The new layer underneath this one, transparent at the start, is for airbrushing black and white to define ocean vs. land...this gives us more control of what the land will look like rather than just using threshold.

My step #9 only contains a photo, no mention of grey fill or mix. See attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0001.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	9101  

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast