Thread: Unnamed coastline

Wip Unnamed coastline

In an effort to create better copies of some of my hand drawn maps I've been playing with photoshop and a few of the various tutorials and techniques I've read on here over the last few months and have a so-so result to share and get some feedback/thoughts on.

As I said, I've been lurking for sometime, but not been active at all.

One of them is an adaptation of.. I believe it's Ascension's atlas style, the second is the hand drawn original. And the last is an amalgam of several, plus tinkering.

Mostly I'm looking for feedback as I tend to have problems getting the maps to suit me at this sort of scale (basically anything not local/city or continent scale).

Thanks for your time/thoughts/etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Place.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	580.7 KB 
ID:	52321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	52322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atlas.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	627.6 KB 
ID:	52320  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

The sorcerer region looks interesting, though is there an un-world explanation for the severity in terrain there (other than rainshadow)? Also what happens to the river flowing east from the mountain? Sinkhole?

The eastward river I haven't decided what happens to yet. When I originally drew the map, I only drew out the "known" world, so to speak, on the hand drawn version, the blank space on the right of the map is equivalent to "Here be monsters!"

As for the desert region, I do have somewhere a fairly in-depth history. Same for the Moor.

Slight improvement (?) on the first map, changed the colour a bit for the two regions with drastically different geography and added a bit of a lush river valley effect in the sorcerer-kingdom. The river effect looks to need a bit of toning down, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Coastline.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	518.5 KB 
ID:	52340