Thread: How to do Steppe and Tundra on a black/white map.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Applicant

Default How to do Steppe and Tundra on a black/white map.

Hey guys.

Iam puzzled on how to do my steppe/Tundra bits on a map iam currently working on.

I have no clue. I mean how to draw swamps is clear... but what symbol/vegetation bit do I use for Steppe or Tundra?

Its super hard for me to come up with something.

If someone can give me a push in the right direction, it would be much apreciated.

Alex.

Well, grassland is kind of a lack of terrain, so just leaving it blank will probably suffice. Tundra is a little more difficult, since it's also relatively devoid of vegetation, but it's definitely distinct from other kinds of treeless land.

Perhaps if you show us the symbols you're already using, we can come up with some suggestions for you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Applicant

Hallo Midgardsormr.
    Thank you for your reply!

I wasn't home, so I couldnt post earlier.
    Iam currently mostly drawing things by hand and scan them in to brushify them with Adobe PS.

There is no certain kind of style iam using, apart from that iam hugely borrowing from tolkiens drawings to get a glimse.
    This is my first work.

So far I havent seen any depiction of Tundra.
    for the Steppe... I think you are right. Leaving it empty would seem like a good thing to do. I think the name giving of the land should give it away sufficiently.

Thank you for your time Midgard!!
    Alex.

Actually, the following is a common symbol used for plains/steppe in contemporary maps, I've used something similar for my own areas of tundra/plains/steppe.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plains-symbol.jpg 
Views:	1214 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	52327
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I would do lonely, very sparse firs. Also, lichen ground cover, the dry stuff... But that's hard to iconise.