Thread: The "Threalms".

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Felwynn's Avatar

Map The "Threalms".

Yes, the "Threalms", in quotes, 'cause the author is french, and so are the names he gave to his kingdoms.
    Thomas Durand is the creator of Athtora, a humourous fantasy world in which magic wars let their print on the continents.
    Discover Les Enigmes de l'Aube!

What I'm showing today is the map made for him, and it should be in the next books as an illustration.

I've drawn many roughs to find this kind of "cartoon" style. The biggest difficulty was to create a very detailed map in which many informations must take place.
    Both base-map, symbols, location-scrolls and kingdom flags were made separately to save time and attempts. Photoshop was my best friend once more.

A bigger, more detailed and coloured map is coming, an interactive one, that is destined to illustrate the official site of Thomas' saga. I'm back here with new maps, a new motivation to create, and so I will try to show many roughs of this work to come.

And, as usually, sorry for my miserable english, but i'm french and you all know that a french is a person who can speak only one language! x)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carte_livre.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	52287  
    Last edited by Felwynn; 02-15-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Interesting one but ouch, those thick black outlines are killing the hand-drawn lines in my opinion.

I really dig the cartoon style you've got going on here, this is great. Can't wait to see the "nicer" version.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Blog Entries

I have to disagree with you there, Max. Yes, those lines are thick and ordinarily could be considered too much but it is obvious that this is the stylistic choice that was made for the map. As Felwynn says, it is a cartoony style (makes me think of certain Nickelodeon shows or the Clerks cartoon that was mercifully cut short for being absolute garbage). I do think, however, that the thick lines coupled with the quite dark grey background may be a little overpowering. Maybe if the grey background was toned down a little? That's just an opinion though.

I really like it.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Mmh. Yes, I know. But it's worth without them.
    They're here because of the thickness of the basic map outline. And also beacuse it's destined to be printed on a book.

Yet, this is not perfect at all. I know it, and and that's one of my reason to come back here after several years... ^^

Edit: Ramah, good point to you too^^, I'll try.

The map needs some modification, like in the title. The coat of arms needs to be seen as a part of it, so i'll redesign the whole title frame.
    Last edited by Felwynn; 02-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    I have to disagree with you there, Max. Yes, those lines are thick and ordinarily could be considered too much but it is obvious that this is the stylistic choice that was made for the map. As Felwynn says, it is a cartoony style (makes me think of certain Nickelodeon shows or the Clerks cartoon that was mercifully cut short for being absolute garbage). I do think, however, that the thick lines coupled with the quite dark grey background may be a little overpowering. Maybe if the grey background was toned down a little? That's just an opinion though.

I really like it.
    In my opinion, the drawing style ( like mountains, city icons and so) was enough to give that cartoon's touch but maybe you're right about the combination of thick lines and grey background.

I think it's awesome! Have some rep.
    M

Thank you