Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: WIP stereographic world map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

thats' great!

I'm still slowly slaving away at this, tjhough progress is slow, even as little as 10-20 labels a day, given the amount of writing and updating of my world-notes that comes with each one. though each one is a step closer then its a simple matte of stitching th 2 globes together in one image, flattening them and beginning work on revising the borders and other information (moons, constellations, etc.

Guild Member Facebook Connected The_Buce's Avatar
    Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom

Holy heck that is awesome! I must admit, I've not seen the most recent version (I had to skip to the end to post something!) but I'm going to check it all out thoroughly when I get home

Wonderful map by the looks of it, though - I've wanted to do something on this scale for a while but I'm not brave enough, yet!

thanks it's a pretty big undertaking especially as most of the world is not yet decided. I add to it sporadically though I haven't done much work on it lately - last i done was a draw-over on the entire map border, starting the whole thing from scratch and figuring out what i'm going to do with the negative space. ill try update it soon. dont hold your breath though

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I should be used to this by now, but you again blew my mind here. I admire your tenacity!

What resolution are you working with?

25300 x 16200 px. Almost 5' x 7' When finished i want to print it out and frame it... when... if

holy cow. no wonder your laptop's having trouble! I'm assuming 150 ppi? Or more?

Sorry for asking, it's just that when I started out working on my maps I struggled to find the right settings without blowing up my computer. And originally I wanted something about the size of your maps with a high zoomability.

works out to 300 dpi (for print). ive since upgraded to a PC with an SSD and 16GB RAM which makes a hell of a difference!

Quote Originally Posted by vorropohaiah View Post
    works out to 300 dpi (for print). ive since upgraded to a PC with an SSD and 16GB RAM which makes a hell of a difference!
    Yeah, me too. My computer was getting too old anyway. It really is woth it!

Still looking forward to seeing more progress on this inspiring map project...any updates?

not many - I've added a few labels here and there. Honestly that's the the thing that's holding this map back -in order to keep my records straight I don't want to just add random names and be done with it. Every name and region I add needs an entry in my encyclopaedia (pronounced the way Ted does on how I met your mother :p). Generally this is done the other way round - i.e.:after coming up with the city's background i add the label to the map. that's taking ages. i think a rethink is in order - just add the name to the encyclopaedia and then flesh details out later on - at least that wa the map grows a bit quicker. then its just the 'simple' matter of adding details to the outside of the globes... a bit of a task in its own right! but rest assured i'll never forget this as its going to be the centrepiece of my living room when i eventually do print it out

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast