Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: WIP stereographic world map

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

If I do this with Arden, it would sure kill me first
    I adore your passion for accuracy, even if thats meaning that we will wait long time to enjoy the full map.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

ok, after a few necromantic posts I figured I'd post a bit of work on this map. Though I say necromantic, the project is not at all dead, just on a very slow thaw, so-to-speak I'm not doing much work on this - maybe adding 10-or-so labels a day, when I have chance to. You might notice though that neither of the pictures below have any labels. The map is so big I’d have to split it up into at least 6 separate images to get any detail to show up, so I figured I’d just show a tiny version to give an overall feel of the map (for anyone interested, the full map is 25,347 x 16,200 px ).

The two maps below are the old and new versions, respectively. The main difference are that the text in the new version will be on the bottom, which makes more sense if you think of this as a real map that might once have graces the office of a lord of king – anyone wanting to read it would have no chance of deciphering the tiny text if it was on the top of the map.

Also, another change is the positioning of the moon and star maps. The old map places the northern hemisphere on the top-left, the southern hemisphere on the bottom-left, with the moons on the right. The new map places the moons on the top left, with the north hemisphere and the southern hemisphere on the bottom left and right respectively. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different positioning? I actually think I prefer the older positioning, though there’s a symmetry to the newer version that’s better. Thoughts?

As always C&C are more than welcome

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base map big text - old.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	64323 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NEW - base steregraphic - full size.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	64324

Seeing you continue work on this really makes me happy!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Finished Maps: Skenth - Prints Available!
    Works in Progress: Arinthia - region of Skenth

Need something commissioned? Send me a message!

it's giving me a headache though! i think i'm probably better-off concentrating on the stuff outside the map itself so i can make a 'mock-up' or prototype version to which i can add labels as i need them

A small (literally - not much detail in this) update on the Stereographic map. I've done a bit more work on the general layout, particularly with the large cartouche on the bottom, which will include various details, including heraldry, physical details, histories etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stereographic Base small.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	350.5 KB 
ID:	66368

While obviously far from done, the extra details and context/story of the map are what really sell it. Nice work.

Good to see you back, vorro! As always, very much looking forward to what you will come up with. Have a Like.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

This is probably one of the most stunning maps I've ever encountered on the internet. Truly amazing work, very detailed and very good executed so far. I'd love to see this finished! I btw know exactly how it feels to have a file so huge that you nearly can't work on it any more. I have one myself I'm currently working on. About 400 layers, text, colors, effects, etc. make it nearly impossible to export (or at least takes about 15 minutes). Keep up the good work, all the best wishes for this project! =)
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 08-11-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteffenBrand View Post
    This is probably one of the most stunning maps I've ever encountered on the internet. Truly amazing work, very detailed and very good executed so far. I'd love to see this finished! I btw know exactly how it feels to have a file so huge that you nearly can't work on it any more. I have one myself I'm currently working on. About 400 layers, text, colors, effects, etc. make it nearly impossible to export (or at least takes about 15 minutes). Keep up the good work, all the best wishes for this project! =)
    since i moved the background elements to their own file, and just the map itself in another file, i've found thigns have gotten a lot quicker. changing to an SSD and CS6 made a huge difference too though the files are still annoyingly large. I'm having to rasterise and merge all text layers as it would be insane otherwise. thousands of layers. the time i checked before i merged the layers i was on about 1,800 text layers and that was a while ago...

work is annoyingly slow though as i hate just adding labels without knowing any background for them. otherwise it would have been aeasy-enough to just add random names all over the map.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112