Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP stereographic world map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Your last link is broken
    ok since you're on the road to make (hopefully) a masterpiece, I hope you don't mind if I'm being a little pernickety : I'd get the stars symbols some kind of old touch (giving them a bit of distressed touch or use some real engraved/wood cut ones rather than PS symbol) to make them fit the style map perfectly. I know this is really some details but details make great maps
    there must have been a problem with the upload... ill just upload a new one if i get any work done on the map tonight.

regarding the stars - looking at them again you're right. the original idea was that the artist used a stamp or similar device to apply the form to the map, explaining why they're all the same (most constellation maps from the period have stars that are identical to one another, with no size variants between them). Keep in mind that this was not the finished thing - I was going to add a bit of texture to them - some noise or dissolve and blur.

I might try something else now

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

the fact that they are all the same don't bother me at all, my comment was just about the oldish look they could have And yes it's a WIP I'll have probably to be more patient. I should start another map to focus on my own work too Well actually I did but nothing much to show for now

just a quick update with some progress on the constellations. just outlines for now, though i doubt ill go into much more detail, given the size of the final star map against the whole of the image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skies.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	52484

spent ,much of this evening just adding labels to the map. I'm scared to count how many text layers i have, in just this portion of the map...

you can also see some of the 'voyage' routes i added - there's 5 in all, though only 4 can be seen here, and most of them are smal parts of the whole. they may overlap the land in some areas - ill fix those later on, i swear!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world stereographic.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	52528
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 02-27-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Looks like a huge labelling work. Nice job so far, comfortable to read at, even with the great number of locations

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looks great! Are you going to include rivers or mountains as well? I've run into a problem there - it just doesn't look 'right' when I try and include anything beyond place names, such as you've done here. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Looks great! Are you going to include rivers or mountains as well? I've run into a problem there - it just doesn't look 'right' when I try and include anything beyond place names, such as you've done here. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated.
    i've been thinking about that too. most real-world maps in this style lack any details like rivers, forests and mountains (though some do contain rivers and very vague mountains). ill certainly not be adding forests and mountains (which are a lot rarer than they are in fantasy maps), though i might add rivers, though there probably wont be enough room to label them so i'm not sure. ill try add some to a continent and mess around with layer styles, colours and opacities, but dont be surprised if i leave the map as it is.
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 02-28-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Ouch. And I thought I was having to add a lot of labels on my map. :S Looking great though. Really looking forward to seeing this complete.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sreynders's Avatar

This is simply amazing. I'm loving the feel of authenticity!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast