Thread: *** Feb/March Lite Challenge - the River Challenge ***

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default *** Feb/March Lite Challenge - the River Challenge ***

Many cartographers are challenged by rivers. This month we're making them the focus of the challenge. Create a map that focuses on a river system.

Remember the basic rules of rivers:
    • They join as they run to the sea.
    • Most bodies of water only have one outflow (lakes don't have two outgoing rivers heading off in different directions)
    • Rivers must start in high terrain and go downhill - no rivers running from one sea to another over a continent.

It's your choice how you want to make a river the focus of this challenge - it can be a series of wetlands, a delta, a sequence of waterfalls, or a straightforward river map from source to ocean. If you decide to break the rules, make sure you explain why so that your rivers can be judged accordingly. Style and medium are entirely up to you.

Start any new entry thread with the title Feb/March Lite Challenge - <name of entry>. Add the tag ### Latest WIP ### in front of any thumbnail for your entries.

Good luck! The challenge will run until the 13th of March, when there will be a period of voting.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Haha awesome!
    Also... I guess this means I actually have to work on a submission this time huh :-)

Absolutely. And your River Police credentials are on the line.

In addition to the silver compass, this challenge winner will receive an honorary induction into the elite cadre that is the River Police, with the badge to match!

Oh well, since I didn't win the last lite challenge I can still be part of this one, so lets get to work

I'm thinking about doing something with a real river, like The Nilo, or The Amazon (which probably will be my choice).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    Haha awesome!
    Also... I guess this means I actually have to work on a submission this time huh :-)
    I just saw the Enderra blog and thought i'd come check this out. I guess that's you

i have a cool idea for this challenge actually. might have to see if i can try something out for this one...

Guild Apprentice

This is perfect... I was working on a river map anyway for another project. I haven't participated in the challenges for a while, so I'm looking forward to this.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

I am also trying one layout. It is my first map of the kind, so I will work a little more before posting it.

OK, been thinking of this since it was first posted, with no time. Still have almost no time:-) -- doubly so since it's about to end. So let me post something simple....

Entries are closed (congrats to jbgibson for sneaking that one in there....). I'll get the voting thread up later today.