Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orion Arm Map (inspired by Bartmoss' work)

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nolgroth View Post
    Nice looking maps. Not really fond of the stencil type fonts. I really like the Sol sector map.
    They are a common feature used throughout all related maps and featured on the cover of the book universe the map's based on, so I kinda had to use them.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

The map is now finished and posted in the relevant subforum under "Map of the Orion Arm, 2790 C.E. (Pre-War)".

Subsequent maps will grow in detail once said detail is provided to me.

Absolutely fabulous, this all is. I'm in a curious situation where almost all of my lore is done up already, but I want to upgrade from an ugly utilitarian reference map I drew up in one afternoon to something like what you've made. If you don't mind, could you offer some insight on a few things?

1. How did you get your initial background? Did you use bartmoss' black and white Milky Way background? If so, how did you get from that to a colored, detailed section of Orion? How did you color it? How did you insert those stars?
    2. How did you create those nebulae?

I appreciate and understand that some information on what I ask is available in this thread and others, but I'm none too experienced with GIMP and Inkscape, and what information is available is too advanced/technical for me to make heads or tails of. Not to say that it's impossible, because everyone obviously started out somewhere, but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

That's lovely stuff! Pretty inspiring stuff there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12