Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February 2013 Entry: As yet unnamed...

Blog Entries

Default February 2013 Entry: As yet unnamed...

Hey there,

This is just a posting of intent where I thougt I'd lay out a few ideas of where I would like to go with this. Other than a quick sketch in a notebook I have nothing to show so far. I may try and take a photo of it to upload later as I haven't tried getting my crappy scanner to work for like... eight years? Not even sure where the leads are.

So anyway... this will be a hand-drawn, overhead map of a city. I'm thinking of fusing a kind of quasi-steampunk/medieval (steamserf?) type thing but I'm not sure how much of that will come across in the actual map. Really, I just want to do a nice steampunky border along the lines of my Bellows/Mechanol maps.
    So, something has happened in this city - possibly to do with its nefarious overlord getting far too steampunky - and there has been a seismic event that has kinda chopped the city in two, allowing the sea to rush in and leave much of the place submerged. The overlord's castle/palace still partly stands, possibly the treasury is still there but is underwater and here is where the map comes in for those ingenious steampunky salvage guys with their nemo style submersible (won't be shown... just backstory).

So that's basically it.

I'm not expecting great things but hopefully I will get the time to actually produce something this time. The only other time I tried to enter a challenge I got no further than making a similar post to this one, although that one did at least have a rough sketch with it. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Blog Entries

Ok, here is the first half-finished rough sketch of my undrowned town.. hey, I quite like that name for something... The Undrowned Town.

Anyway, I wanted to be further along than this but the fact that the kids are off school with half-term throws everything up in the air. Also, the place is now half clinging to a cliff side which is not how I originally envisioned it at all so I'm having to burn some brain rubber as I'm going.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limpet_1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	495.3 KB 
ID:	52383

As is the case with most I would think, I'm going to get it pretty sorted how the town looked originally then I'm gonna have a little fun raining a little destruction down on it. The current idea is that the smaller island between the town and the large island houses a university of the Steammancers or somesuch nonsense. They're drilling and using natural volcanic heat for their steam paraphernalia and went somewhat too far... damn you! Damn you all to hell!

Not sure yet whether the finished map will be a comparison map or just the flooded version. Gonna do some experiments when I get there.

Anyway... onwards.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

Your sketch looks truly amazing as a thumbnail. I clicked on it and was a lil disappointed to find only a sketch! No offense. I think that's a good thing. It must mean that your composition is just right. When you get it all put together it should be awesome. Looking forward to it.
    M

This looks very promising, but then I'd expect nothing less from you Ramah! Glad to see you doing a challenge. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Even your sketches are badass.
    can't wait to see what you do with this!

Wow Ramah, this looks incredible already. I'm like the others and rather hopeful to see what you have at the finish.

I'll admit I have been out of the house for family reasons this last week and did a little sketching of an idea I had for this but but just your sketch alone is a little intimidating Which is why I should probably enter all the more so because that just makes me work harder. My only real issue is time because I'm swamped by work but for a couple hours here and there. Oh well, thanks for making me feel like I just have to get in on this.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Mearin: Hehe, no offense taken. It doesn't look good up close. Hopefully I can rectify that in the final image but I do have my doubts.

Jax: Glad I've motivated you in some small way and I hope you do enter.

I haven't really gotten any work done on this since I posted up the sketch and I can certainly feel time slipping away from me. I'm still hopeful that I will get something more complete, albeit somewhat unpolished up before the challenge finishes.

Blog Entries

Seriously gonna have a hard time finishing this in time. :S

Anyway, here's an update. Still working on the unsunk version.

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Limpet_2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	52477

It may seem too dark in places but I'm going to wait until I have everything in before I start altering the values of it.
    Last edited by Ramah; 02-25-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Edited to add image tags

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hope you can finish it in time. I like the nice color scheme.

Very pretty! I hope you can finish it.
    M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast