Thread: Mapping the Medieval Urban Landscape

Info Mapping the Medieval Urban Landscape

I don't think this has been posted yet (though I could be mistaken). I just ran across this fascinating research project conducted by a team of archaeologists at Queen's University Belfast. The project sought to implement Geographical Information Systems and Geographical Positioning Systems to analyze and map medieval urban landscapes. The project aims included:

"Firstly, characterise the urban forms of Edward’s new towns; secondly, establish their original layout and design; thirdly identify common aspects of their design; fourthly, examine the agents and the decision-making processes involved in their formation. The project also had as one of its main aims the creation of an interactive, digital historic towns atlas made available to a broad audience to disseminate awareness and knowledge of medieval towns in general, and stimulate interest in Edward I’s new towns in particular."

The atlas includes multiple towns, each of which has its own interactive vector map that allows you to explore the town's contours. It's a really handy resource for those engaged in world-building and for those interested in creating medieval-style town maps.

The original project may be found here, and the atlas itself is here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Sounds like a good idea for the next lite challenge : make a map from a vector from this research....

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

the interactive map looks very interesting. shame its mostly just welsh sites though.