Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: OMG .... WOTC does it again

i have to say, i am in no way a fan of dnd, and tho that is where my rp experience started, i moved away and never looked back... until now, all this new talk has me very interested, and i will be fore sure borrowing some books to see how its played.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, it's actually going pretty well so far. I'll be interested to see how the supplements go as they expand the game, but at least they've started off with a solid core game.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Update on the effect DDI is having on MapTool... We are starting to see new members coming over to start using MapTool because WoTC is missing its release dates... We even had our first new member tell us straight up that that is why they were there.

:snicker:
    Sorry to dredge up an old post, but yeah... this is why I registered here today. WOTC got our gaming group thinking seriously about online RP, but between the vaporware factor and subscription fee, here I am. We've been playing around with MapTool, and I've re-installed GIMP and dug out my old texture library - looks like our first session is this Thursday.

Our group actually has 3 fairly competent java coders, and there are already some mutterings about possible contributions if time allows. So yeah, well done Wizards!

A side note, TokenTool is one of the nicest pieces of software I've seen in a while. Does its job quickly, intuitively, and well, good stuff!

I'm not going to touch all the 4th edition debate stuff, I learned that game system preferences were a deeply personal matter back in the 80's.

On a slight tangent ... Dragon Warriors, the original d20 system, is back. Mongoose have released the core rulebook under their Flaming Cobra line, and there's a Bestiary due out soon.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Quote Originally Posted by zyblex View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old post, but yeah... this is why I registered here today. WOTC got our gaming group thinking seriously about online RP, but between the vaporware factor and subscription fee, here I am. We've been playing around with MapTool, and I've re-installed GIMP and dug out my old texture library - looks like our first session is this Thursday.

Our group actually has 3 fairly competent java coders, and there are already some mutterings about possible contributions if time allows. So yeah, well done Wizards!

A side note, TokenTool is one of the nicest pieces of software I've seen in a while. Does its job quickly, intuitively, and well, good stuff!

I'm not going to touch all the 4th edition debate stuff, I learned that game system preferences were a deeply personal matter back in the 80's.
    That's awesome! Definitely make sure to post in the member introductions threads both here and the RPTools forums. Welcome to the Guild!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

yeah thats great... i'd take maptool over wotc's vtt anyday... and yes the tokentool is great... saved me a lot of time.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Well, not to sound like a WotC Fanboy or anything, but the purpose of their VTT is not so much a top-down token on a flat table, but it is supposed to be representative of a 3-D environment. Cool if they can get it going, not so sure otherwise.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Well, not to sound like a WotC Fanboy or anything, but the purpose of their VTT is not so much a top-down token on a flat table, but it is supposed to be representative of a 3-D environment. Cool if they can get it going, not so sure otherwise.
    I think its actually more like an isometric token on a 2D plane. Do you have any screen caps of a 3d environment? I haven't seen any, but would love to see some if they have been able to get to that point.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    I think its actually more like an isometric token on a 2D plane. Do you have any screen caps of a 3d environment? I haven't seen any, but would love to see some if they have been able to get to that point.
    Yes, I have indeed seen it, at least the pseudo Beta.

It is supposed to work inconjunction with this:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ctervisualizer

You can build a full 3-d Version of your PC here, and then import it into the Game Table.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...ider/gametable

Which you can see from the Screenies is panable.

Of course the DM uses the Dungeonbuilder:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...dungeonbuilder

To build the various encounters etc for the PCs to play in.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Yea, those are all the same images I've seen. Other than being able to move the camera around and a few "3d" objects I'm still only seeing a single plane for the actual gaming surface and why I said isometric tokens on a 2d plane. I can see that there are some edges here and there, but I would really like to see some true elevation examples of tokens on two different levels at the same time. I can tell that the engine can probably do that. I just haven't seen any examples. I'm also not a big fan of the whole MMORPG appearance of everything, but can appreciate that that is what is popular these days.

On a total side note, my daughter was talking to one of her friends at school and he mentioned "GM" and he went on to try to explain what one was. She stopped him mid sentence and not only told him that she knew what one was, but went on to say that I was a GM in some games, but that they were "Real Roleplaying Games". She made me so proud when she told me that. Her friends reply was "how can you have a roleplaying game without a computer and only with paper and dice?" She tried to explain it, but the poor kid couldn't figure out what she was explaining. It makes me sad that imagination is going the way of the Dodo.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast