Thread: Convert Map to Mercator Projection

Default Convert Map to Mercator Projection

I have a flat image map I made. I would like to be able to convert this image to Mercator projection. Is there anywhere that I can do this where the image can be saved?
    BriniaSona
    Graphic Artist of Sanctity Design
    Founder and Administrator of Kwandrivia: Action Roleplay Forum

There was a recent thread about this here and here.

This may not help for the image you have depending on whether it is a full world map or not and whether it is in equirectangular form, but G Projector does it for full world maps. If your map is regional you can put it on a blank world in it's approximate location and size and then run the program and then crop out that image, which is probably how I'd go about it. Not sure how big an image the program can handle so that may be a problem but I think it's rather large since they have giant topography maps of the Earth there at Nasa you can download and I think they are intended to be used together with the program.

Now that I think about it, I guess my map is already in Mercator Projection. This is the map, or the one with timezones that I made.

http://i.imgur.com/3h6BgEl.jpg
    BriniaSona

Hello BriniaSona.

I'm no expert, but most of my world maps are equirectangular or similar (none currently uploaded to the Guild unfortunately), and this does look very much like an equirectangular map to me - mostly because by my crude measurements (done with the edge of an envelope against the screen) its more or less twice as long as it is tall - equirectangular.

Mercator tends to grossly extend the polar regions and never reaches the poles, which lie at infinity in that type of projection.

However, that doesn't really help you with the conversion.

I would suggest you follow Falconius's advice - he being a more knowledgeable chap than me

If you can identify the equator, 30, and 60 degrees north and south of the equator it would be much easier to identify your map projection and get it converted to something else.

Looks like I messed up when first creating the map. I was just doing it for fun at the beginning. I want the continent sizes to be accurate to what they are. But, having grown up seeing almost only mercator style maps, that is what my mind naturally made. However, when I use this website. http://maptoglobe.bitbucket.org/ to put my map onto a globe, the parts of the map closest to the poles become squished and distorted, which makes sense now that i know more about maps.

So, I'd like to know what map style to convert my map to, so that when placed on a globe, it does not distort at the poles. Which again, is probably not possible. Because converting 2d to 3d is rather difficult.

EDIT: this is the map with the equater and lines and such. The equater is a little too south, but lore wise, it's because the planet was created/altered with powerful godly magic. (Which also explains some of the odd lakes/formations/rivers.

http://i.imgur.com/Li5V9wZ.jpg
    Last edited by BriniaSona; 08-16-2016 at 02:25 AM.
    BriniaSona

Aha, there is a tab in that link i sent that let's you convert your map to other map types
    BriniaSona