Thread: Earning my armchair cartographer badge...

Post Earning my armchair cartographer badge...

...As I think my armchair palaeontologist badge was won a few years back

Hello, my name's Renato, I'm twenty-four, an Earth and Life Sciences undergrad and I fancy myself as the artist type, among other things.

My map making has more to do with applying my knowledge in geology to constructing fictional worlds just for the heck of it than to any role playing exploits.

I've used a good number of freeware terrain generators I've found while rummaging through the web but Wilbur seems to work best for me. It's true that I use it more for the aesthetical effect in those.
    I am also know to fiddle with other people's concepts, this time using Photoshop to sketch and Celestia to visualize:
    Gondolend 1 2
    Tlaquanaru 1
    All done with consent of the owners of said concepts

This is all I have to show for now of stuff I've got uploaded. More will come soon... -ish... actually don't expect me to be terribly active in the coming months with summer break and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracontes View Post
    ...As I think my armchair palaeontologist badge was won a few years back

Hello, my name's Renato, I'm twenty-four, an Earth and Life Sciences undergrad and I fancy myself as the artist type, among other things.

My map making has more to do with applying my knowledge in geology to constructing fictional worlds just for the heck of it than to any role playing exploits.

I've used a good number of freeware terrain generators I've found while rummaging through the web but Wilbur seems to work best for me. It's true that I use it more for the aesthetical effect in those.
    I am also know to fiddle with other people's concepts, this time using Photoshop to sketch and Celestia to visualize:
    Gondolend 1 2
    Tlaquanaru 1
    All done with consent of the owners of said concepts

This is all I have to show for now of stuff I've got uploaded. More will come soon... -ish... actually don't expect me to be terribly active in the coming months with summer break and all.
    Welcome to the guild Renato!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild Dracontes! Those are great first map posts. Very interesting style. I'm guessing you are drawing in the plates as the bold thick lines? A little tough to figure out land from water initially, but after a bit of searching I think I figured out which was which.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome aboard.

I like your maps, the are very....detailed. I just wish I knew what all those details meant
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thank you all for the welcome

@ Neonknight & RPMiller: I apologize for not taking the time to explain but I was a bit pressed for it at the moment I wrote the first post. To quote myself from elsewhere:

Gondolend
    The legend is as follows:
    Black thin lines = continental outline
    Blue thin lines = rivers and lakes
    Dark red thin lines = mountains
    Magenta thin lines = (composite) fold axis
    Red transparent areas = orogenies
    Turquoise transparent areas = geologically stable areas; cratons
    Blue thick lines = subduction trenches
    Red thick lines = rifts
    Yellow thick lines = plate collision[ area]s
    Green thick lines = transform faults
    Tlaquanaru
    I think the colours I used are more or less straight forward, though it best be told that the thin orange lines denote high country, 1000+ m altitude, whilst the dark red ones denote the 3000+ m limit [and the thin turquoise ones denote the continental shelf]. The thick green lines are transform faults and the bright magenta ones are collisional boundaries.
    I might as well show you one of my first if not the first serious map I made when I was 16-18 years old. It was for a fan fiction scenario where an expedition found a world where something very similar to the Alien Saga xenomorph evolved

The signage is as follows:
    Double lines - rifts
    Lines with triangles - subduction trenches, triangles on the overthrust side.
    Simple lines - transform faults
    Thick lines - collisional plate boundaries
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't."
    -- Samuel Langhorne Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain. (1897) Following the Equator.

Oh no.... RPMiller, we have a square grid alert!!!

heh...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

ROFL Since it isn't confining the map you won't here any complaints from me.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Nice maps.
    Bom ver alguém que fala a lķngua de Camoes por aqui.
    Last edited by joćo paulo; 11-30-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: some portuguese

Welcome to the Guild, Dracontes.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx